• Register Today It's free!

Explorer rear driveshaft lengths?

nova801428

Reaction score
City, State
Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 Ford Ranger
I hope this is the right spot to post this...but I need to know the lengths of a 4dr and a 2dr explorer rear driveshaft. I don't have an explorer but I was hoping I didn't have to make a trip to the junkyard.

If you give me a measurement please tell me if its compressed or what not.

Thanks!:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

gotta tell us a year, trans, and 4x2 or 4x4. These are all different lengths.

I honestly have no idea the differences between 2wd and 4wd. I'm guessing 2wd slips into the transmission and a 4wd is flange to flange style. I need a one piece driveshaft.
I am trying to convert my 86 Ranger 4wd to a bigger explorer driveshaft. Right now the length at ride height is 46". It has tiny u-joints and is a yoke style at the t-case. I think I will need to convert it to a flange style?...but not sure where to get a flange. I heard I can get one off of an AWD Aerostar but would rather gather information before I make trips to the junkyard.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Thanks!

Go to a ( U pull it yard ), they have various names and you can look and do all the measuring you want, with out buying anything. If you go by what someone says and you go to a yard that pulls the shaft for you and buy one, then you get home and it is wrong, then your screwed.

I was trying to avoid the junk yard. I have a yoke style end on t-case and i want a shaft with bigger u-joints. I could pull my yoke off and count the splines and go to the yard and spend hours looking for the right flange and drive shaft and still get the wrong one. I am assuming the t-case's have different number of splines and thats why i'm here. Thanks!

I guess no one here uses a driveshaft?

I wasted my time at the junkyard today. They had two driveshafts. They were both 46" compressed. The splines were different on the shafts though. One was missing the end flange piece and the other one I could not get off with my 1/2" wrench.

I am going to look for a 4wd Ranger shortbed standard cab driveshaft.

Only a few people look here each day and most of the time it is the same people except the ones asking questions. I am sick and in the house so I look everyday. Unless some one has done what you are trying to do and happens to look in you may not get an answer. I could measure my 1999 but until I am feeling better that's not going to happen and your asking people to crawl under and measure. You never said from what points on the shaft you are measuring from?

I measured my stock shaft from the axle flange to the center of the u-joint cap on the transfer case yoke (yes I am converting to a flange)

I can actually just go on ebay and look through listings and find where people put the lengths.

Back