Explorer Sport Clutch Replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Sport Clutch Replacement

damccull

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer 2door sport
Hello,
I have a 1998 Ford Explorer 2 door sport. It's 2 wheel drive, and has a 4.0L, 6 cylinder engine. It's standard, and my clutch went kaput about a week ago now.

I was driving and all of the sudden the clutch pedal wouldn't push down (it had been making a weird whining sound all morning whenever I pushed the clutch pedal in). So naturally, like most car-mechanics-challenged people would do, I pushed harder. It went down to the floor board with effort, but after it popped back up, there was no counter pressure on the pedal anytime I tried to push it in again after that. I guess whatever part of the clutch got pushed in, it decided to stay there.

Long story short, my clutch no longer works. The mechanic I took it to says I need to put a new clutch kit in it because there's brake fluid all over it from the clutch slave cylinder. They say it'll be a $1200 job ( I think that includes parts). I also need a radiator (independent issue) and have been quoted $400 for that. $1600 is too much for me to want to repair the truck. Nadaguides.com gives my Explorer a worth of $3400 clean retail, and only $1600 Average Trade-In (My explorer fits there, unfortunately).

I don't know anything about car mechanics, but I have a very technical mind and understand how things work once I learn them. I'm wondering if there's a way to replace the clutch that won't cost me $1200 bucks. The clutch has plagued me since I bought the vehicle. I've put in 2 new slave cylinders in a year. One I had a mechanic family member's help, and the other I had a shop do.

Is this something I can do for under $300? What would be the cheapest way that'll keep me driving for a good long time? How hard is it to replace the clutch yourself, and how long of a job is it?

Thanks everyone,
damccull

http://www.clutchcityonline.com/products/07-139S.shtml

Ask them what brand the parts are. I believe they are Luk which are good parts. You can do a clutch you'll just have to go slow and be careful. You'll also need a large floor jack or tranny jack. There is a post on the forum somewhere on swapping one out. You also need a decent tool set or be ready spend the odd $50-200 on tools. Buy a min of Craftsman tools. They cost just a little more and have a lifetime warranty.

Back