Explorer Sport Trac console swap - Another option to this crappy bag console! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Sport Trac console swap - Another option to this crappy bag console!

How much for the leather and suede armrest?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are the rear heat controls able to be retained between consoles? I have a 2005 with the one little cup holder and one big cup holder and I want just two regular cup holders so I can mount an ashtray for when I'm at work.

I need to jump back on my console swap after I get to my 1,000 miles torque on those body bushing, while I have my seats out, I just might start it. I think I may need to get some additional pieces for my console. Like the rear console mount, I forgotten the year I got my console out of, but I am sure my rear mounting bracket won't fit unless I can modify it, also, the console has the a/c duct work, I need to get the undertake dash piece to connect it to the console. Still a lot to do.

Are the rear heat controls able to be retained between consoles? I have a 2005 with the one little cup holder and one big cup holder and I want just two regular cup holders so I can mount an ashtray for when I'm at work.

The cup holder sections can be swapped between consoles. They snap into the console, but can sometimes be a pain to get out.

I went salvage yard hunting yesterday looking for consoles. I'm very dissatisfied with this bag style console I have and have had the idea for a while to find another option, besides the high series model. I used to rebuild salvage Bronco II's and have done a couple 91-94 Gen 1 series Explorers. The components of this bag console just looked too similar for me not to try an older "real" console. I'm already using a 91-94 series arm rest on my bag console. The console I picked up was from a 95 or so model. I brought it home and cleaned it up a bit. I removed my bag console and this one just sat right down in it's place, mounting screws lining up and all. I took it back out and took a few photos for comparisons and put it right back in and sewed it up. This modification will take someone 30 minutes at the most. Now I have a REAL console with a REAL usable storage area. The older Explorer consoles have several cup holder options as they changed slightly over the years. I've shown two of them here. There are older Explorers by the dozens in most salvage yards and the consoles go for as little as $40-$50. Considering you can eBay your bag for $70 + this is a excellent swap.

The bag console with a Gen 1 Explorer arm rest
View attachment 224834

Same view with my "new" console, still using the Gen 1 Explorer arm rest. You can use your current bag console arm rest on the older consoles too but the older arm rests are MUCH stronger!
View attachment 224835

More assorted photos showing the two different cup holders that I picked up. I believe you could even use the bag console "flip-over" cup holder with a little trimming to the "new" console.

View attachment 224836

View attachment 224837

View attachment 224838

View attachment 224839

View attachment 224840
That's from a 95 Ford explorer?
I went salvage yard hunting yesterday looking for consoles. I'm very dissatisfied with this bag style console I have and have had the idea for a while to find another option, besides the high series model. I used to rebuild salvage Bronco II's and have done a couple 91-94 Gen 1 series Explorers. The components of this bag console just looked too similar for me not to try an older "real" console. I'm already using a 91-94 series arm rest on my bag console. The console I picked up was from a 95 or so model. I brought it home and cleaned it up a bit. I removed my bag console and this one just sat right down in it's place, mounting screws lining up and all. I took it back out and took a few photos for comparisons and put it right back in and sewed it up. This modification will take someone 30 minutes at the most. Now I have a REAL console with a REAL usable storage area. The older Explorer consoles have several cup holder options as they changed slightly over the years. I've shown two of them here. There are older Explorers by the dozens in most salvage yards and the consoles go for as little as $40-$50. Considering you can eBay your bag for $70 + this is a excellent swap.

The bag console with a Gen 1 Explorer arm rest
View attachment 224834

Same view with my "new" console, still using the Gen 1 Explorer arm rest. You can use your current bag console arm rest on the older consoles too but the older arm rests are MUCH stronger!
View attachment 224835

More assorted photos showing the two different cup holders that I picked up. I believe you could even use the bag console "flip-over" cup holder with a little trimming to the "new" console.

View attachment 224836

View attachment 224837

View attachment 224838

View attachment 224839

View attachment 224840
So that's from a 95 Ford explorer? Í hate the open compartment on my 2002 explorer sport, I wanna do this I already took out the old broken on

Back