Explorer Sport Trac console swap - Another option to this crappy bag console! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Explorer Sport Trac console swap - Another option to this crappy bag console!

ncranchero

Co-moderator
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Denver,NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 F150 XLT 4x4
Sure will, the short bag console. The older "real" console will also fit with no mods.

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

GAZH13

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Bay, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
Any pictures where the bolt holes are and how the center console mounts. I am going to try a go to some junk yards Monday and see what I can find. It will save some time not having to figure how to get the console out. Maybe a pic of the old console mounts and the new one.

<

ncranchero

Co-moderator
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Denver,NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 F150 XLT 4x4
Only these ...........

Tools needed: 8mm or 5/16" socket with ratchet, and extension if preferred, and a Phillips screw driver.

Arm Rest mounting bolts, two per side.
Armrestattachingpoint.jpg

After removing the arm rest there's one screw.
Rearconsoleattachmentpoint.jpg

Depending upon which cup holder tray is on the console there's four screws or no screws. The black cup holder has four and the interior colored cup holder has none & is removed by just lifting up on the front of it just like you do removing the one you have now.
Frontconsolecupholdercomparison2.jpg

Bagconsole001b.jpg

Once you have the cup holder removed there are two screws holding it it the floor.
Frontmountingscrews.jpg

Installation in the reverse You can actually remove/swap these consoles in about as much time as it took for me to upload and post these photos. So simple even a Caveman can do it .......
CavemanGeico.jpg

Both consoles mount EXACTLY the same ......... same screws, same bolts, same holes, same everything!

You do not even need to change the aluminum bracket.
Mountingbracket.jpg

<

GAZH13

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Bay, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
ncranchero, i found an entire console with arm rest in grey(which is what I need) but it is supposedly from a 91-94 Explorer. It looks like the other ones on the top just a little different on the bottom. Do you think it will mount in my 2001.

<

GAZH13

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Bay, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
Here is a picture.
BWSHMNWkKGrHgoH-EIEjlLlzEZJBKWrIKYH.jpg

<

ncranchero

Co-moderator
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Denver,NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 F150 XLT 4x4
Fits perfectly. That's the exact one I put in mine, only in tan.

Phillips screwdriver, 8mm (5/16") socket with extension and ratchet and 15 minutes and you're done.

<

GAZH13

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Bay, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
Thanks, I went ahead bought it before your post (took a chance but I didnt want to loose it,could sell it if it wouldnt fit). Got it for $60 plus $30 shipping. I had found some consoles without the armrest and they were about $60 total without an armrest. Figured another armrest would run me about $30 or so.

<

ncranchero

Co-moderator
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Denver,NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 F150 XLT 4x4
Yeah, you'll be much happier with that one and if you have the bag for the one you're taking out you can almost recover your money by selling that bag.

<

Zealous Interiors

Reaction score
City, State
Westbrook, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer XLT
I have a console lid like this in my possession, and I will be soon offering them in leather/suede kits :)

<

<

tedhaynes

Reaction score
Thanks a great deal. You saved me a bunch of time and exasperation. This will be my project next week. Thant a bunch for the pictures.

<

ncranchero

Co-moderator
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Denver,NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 F150 XLT 4x4
You'll be glad you did!!!

<

Darth Stang

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Sport Trac Limited 4.6
Awesome Post!

This is one of the more useful posts I've read on this forum, thank you very much!

<

ncranchero

Co-moderator
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Denver,NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 F150 XLT 4x4
Thanks!

<

Laminae

Reaction score
City, State
NW FLORIDA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
This is so cool. I'm so glad I found this forum. I broke my armrest a while back. I Never figured I could change it out. Now I want to change out the whole console.
I sure appreciate this post.

<

ncranchero

Co-moderator
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Denver,NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 F150 XLT 4x4
What color is your interior? I still have a tan one but no arm rest for it. There may be a gray one around here too. PM me if it'll help you.

<

rokr1292

Reaction score
City, State
richardsville va
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Explorer Sport Trac
Will the 2 cupholder shorty console from say a 03 xlt ranger fit up front under the dash? I think I know my next mod if it does. I like the bag, I just wanna change the cupholder part to that style like the black one up there ^^

<

ncranchero

Co-moderator
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Denver,NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 F150 XLT 4x4
I'm not familiar with the Ranger consoles, never seen a Ranger with bucket seats & console that I recall. "Supposedly" the consoles are the same design as the Explorer consoles. The black cup holder shown above will "fit" the bag console. Notice in the console comparison photo below, the screw holes in the very front and rear corners of the open cup holder area of the Explorer (Ranger?) console that aren't there on the bag console.

Cupholdermountingpointcomparison.jpg

<

rokr1292

Reaction score
City, State
richardsville va
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Explorer Sport Trac
No, I'm talking about the 2 cupholder console that goes under the dash below the radio bezel. Just a thought I had, because I have an old black one that would fit in my grey st interior. Except for ones with the full-length console, all Rangers all had 60/40 seats I'm pretty sure

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

45Frank

Reaction score
City, State
Blue Ridge Mnts of WNC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLS
Just replaced mine also, bought one on eBay. Took about 5 minutes to install and love it. Now I could hide things I don't want others to see.

<