Explorer stuck in 4 low | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer stuck in 4 low

Bmoresports

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford explorer sport
Hello explorer world, yesterday I went out in the snow and needed to use 4x4. i used 4 low to get out of my parking spot which worked great, but later the 4x4 system started to act up. I ended up getting stuck at an intersection and tried to use 4 lo, while doing so the front wheels were popping and banging really loud. Now its stuck in 4 low and isint showing lights for 4x4 or low range. The buttons for 4x4 are no longer working and are unresponsive when pressed. How do i get my baby out of 4 low? I can feel its in 4 low when driving, but the 4 wheel drive isint working anymore, like power isint being distributed to the front wheels. PLEASE HELP!!!!! this is my only vehicle and im screwed if it wont drive properly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

start the vehicle , drive in a straight line forward for bit,, go to neutral, put it in 4 low,,
put it in gear drive forward a bit again, just going straight,,
stop,put it in neutral, take it out of 4 low ,,
put it in reverse,back up for a bit, staying straight, no turns,,
you should feel it release,, the reverse unloads the gears in the planetary and allows it to unlock the 4 low some times,,

you may need to unhook the battery to get the system to restart to make this work ,
the computer will reset itself when reconnected,,

4x4 transfer case refusing to disengage

Hello everybody once more. My 4x4 system is refusing to cooperate. My car is refusing to get out of 4x4. The transfer case is engaged and the front axle is spinning but theres not much power going to the front wheels. The automatic hubs are busted I believe. How do I get it out of 4low and disengage that dang transfer case so I can drive normally once again. I tried backing up after drivi g straight but the buttons are completely unresponsive. PLEASE HELP!!!

start the vehicle , drive in a straight line forward for bit,, go to neutral, put it in 4 low,,
put it in gear drive forward a bit again, just going straight,,
stop,put it in neutral, take it out of 4 low ,,
put it in reverse,back up for a bit, staying straight, no turns,,
you should feel it release,, the reverse unloads the gears in the planetary and allows it to unlock the 4 low some times,,

you may need to unhook the battery to get the system to restart to make this work ,
the computer will reset itself when reconnected,,

I tried that but the buttons for 4x4 are unresponsive. Where do I go from there so I can just drive it in 2wd and fix the 4x4 later.

Back