Explorer Vacuum? Problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Vacuum? Problem

jawa6988

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Exp XLT and 96 Exp 4x4
Hi guys, Im a newbie here, but so far seems great. I have a question I dont see an answer to. Maybe I'm just having trouble finding my way around here efficiently.

Anyways here goes: I have a 96 Explorer 4x4 with really high mileage. Just bought it cheeep. It has the 4.0L v6. It intermittently idles kinda rough and I hear a hissing from the upper drivers side of the engine. I suspect a vacuum leak. Is there a common problem that you guys are aware of that may help me find the source of the issue? The service engine light has not ever lit since I bought the truck a week ago, so no trouble codes to go from. Its worth noting that this engine has been replaced so the service engine light may have been disconnected even, Not sure of anything just yet. The trucks odo reads 246k, but is stuck there... and has been at least since 2008 (There is an oil change reminder sticker in the window that says to return at 249k). I was told that the engine is younger by two owners but who knows how many miles it had when installed or since. This engine may just be getting tired. I've changed oil & filter, sparks plugs & wires, and air filter so far. I even tried cursing at it a couple times but that only seemed to make it angry ;)

The engine revs so low that it has completely died out twice far while I was testing at idle to see if my efforts had resolved the issue. When I'm driving it at higher rev, it seems to run pretty well. I would appreciate any suggestions anyone may have about any sensors or hidden vacuum connections that may be causing the stuttering idle.

Thanks in advance

Intake manifold gaskets, IAC valve, PCV hoses & connectors?

Hi guys, Im a newbie here, but so far seems great. I have a question I dont see an answer to. Maybe I'm just having trouble finding my way around here efficiently.

Anyways here goes: I have a 96 Explorer 4x4 with really high mileage. Just bought it cheeep. It has the 4.0L v6. It intermittently idles kinda rough and I hear a hissing from the upper drivers side of the engine. I suspect a vacuum leak. Is there a common problem that you guys are aware of that may help me find the source of the issue? The service engine light has not ever lit since I bought the truck a week ago, so no trouble codes to go from. Its worth noting that this engine has been replaced so the service engine light may have been disconnected even, Not sure of anything just yet. The trucks odo reads 246k, but is stuck there... and has been at least since 2008 (There is an oil change reminder sticker in the window that says to return at 249k). I was told that the engine is younger by two owners but who knows how many miles it had when installed or since. This engine may just be getting tired. I've changed oil & filter, sparks plugs & wires, and air filter so far. I even tried cursing at it a couple times but that only seemed to make it angry ;)

The engine revs so low that it has completely died out twice far while I was testing at idle to see if my efforts had resolved the issue. When I'm driving it at higher rev, it seems to run pretty well. I would appreciate any suggestions anyone may have about any sensors or hidden vacuum connections that may be causing the stuttering idle.

Thanks in advance
I would look at the Idle Air Control valve, probably the gasket. However, at the price of the gasket, think about replacing the valve. There is an air intake on the backside of the valve that could cause the sound.

I had a similar situation, and there is a little piece under the battery tray (not sure what it was called) that some vaccum hoses connected to. Took it off and the back side had rubbed against the vehicle and had a hole in it. Got on from a junk yard, and no problems since.

Back