Extending extended warranty on 2016 Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Extending extended warranty on 2016 Sport

Britta-S

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
Hello everyone!

When buying my Sport in mid 2015, I also purchased a 3 year extended warranty, so 6 years of warranty total (Premium Care with $100 deductible). That warranty is running out in June and I was thinking if there was an option to extend the warranty for another 2 years (that's how much longer I roughly plan to keep the Sport) and what the costs are? I'm at just under 50k miles, but have used the extended warranty quite a bit, so love to keep the comfort of knowing I only have a $100 deductible.

Anyone any insight into this?
Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you bought a 3 year extended warranty when you bought your 2015 Sport, it would have run out when your factory warranty ran out. Ford ESP begins with the 'In Service' date of the vehicle. When I bought a 48 month ESP for my Explorers, the warranty only extended 12 months beyond the factory warranty. To be covered for 6 years, you would have had to buy a 72 month warranty. Have you checked out this thread; Ford ESP at dealer cost to forum members

Peter

If you bought a 3 year extended warranty when you bought your 2015 Sport, it would have run out when your factory warranty ran out. Ford ESP begins with the 'In Service' date of the vehicle. When I bought a 48 month ESP for my Explorers, the warranty only extended 12 months beyond the factory warranty. To be covered for 6 years, you would have had to buy a 72 month warranty. Have you checked out this thread; Ford ESP at dealer cost to forum members

Peter
Thank you, Peter.
Obviously, what I meant (since I've had my Ex since 2015) that I got the extended warranty up to 6 years/72 months.
Yes, I did look at that thread, but since the first post says, 'if you're not ready to buy, don't contact me' I thought I ask here first what the cost of something like that would be or if it's even possible?

Searching the internet indicated that getting an extended warranty is only possible within the original manufacturers warranty and under 41000miles (which would already put it out of the manufacturer warranty of 36k, no?). Seams weird to me...
So, does anyone have any experience with extending an extended warranty?

Hopefully someone that was in the same situation as yourself will reply. I believe some (blwnsmoke?) have extended their extended warranty without issues. I believe in such cases a vehicle inspection might be required.

Peter

Hopefully someone that was in the same situation as yourself will reply. I believe some (blwnsmoke?) have extended their extended warranty without issues. I believe in such cases a vehicle inspection might be required.

Peter
Thanks again, Peter.

I contacted blwnsmoke directly and he informed me that I can't get a 'new ESP'. But I can get a used vehicle ESP, which has the same features as the new vehicle ESP, but I guess it's a bit more expensive than if I had gone for the 8 year one to begin with, but oh well, live and learn.

Since I still have an ESP, as long as I get the new one before my original one expires, I won't need the inspection. And since I won't need the inspection, the same guy who sells the new ESPs can also handle my extended ESP when the time comes.

(all of this was exchanged via PM, just want to make sure that anyone who ever searches for this problem in the future can find the info 😊 )

Thank you. I wasn't sure about whether or not an inspection was required if you renewed while under an ESP. I did know that a "used vehicle ESP" would be required if there was no current warranty. Good luck.

Peter

Back