Extreme Rust (Rear rocker panels) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Extreme Rust (Rear rocker panels)

Ive been looking around for rocker panels but all I could find is small strips that run the whole bottom lenght and several inches high. My rust areas are much larger then the panels i could find. The rear is rotted to my door on the inner and outter wall. Do the make large panels to fix this problem or do i have to go to a junk yard and cut out what i need and weld it in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have their catalog coming. Hopefully I'll receive it soon. I browsed the online catalog and their also the small panels. Im thinking about just fiberglassing my own custom rockers but dont know how it would with stand offroading. heres a pic of what I'm dealing with. I had no rust befor winter and now over winter this is what i got. I removed the running boards and their staying off due the the fact that they hold all the snow and salt.

explorer069.jpg

explorer068.jpg

I'd go with LMC or try to find parts on ebay. You'll need inner & possibly outer rocker panels plus the extension for the rear section where the rear door meets the rockers

A quick google search for explorer Dog legs and Rocker panels will give you many sites that sell these pieces. I need to do mine soon, luckily its just around the Dog leg

thanks. i beleive that will help me out alot. i couldnt find inner rocker panels though but i really wansnt looking.

Raybuck.com is the best site i found that had rocker panels. they Have the oem complete rocker panels or you can get the slip on rockers.

hows that look with the rear door open?

raybuck.com has OEM style parts. I just got a WHOLE rocker and dogleg sent to me for 138 bucks. And it was not that cheap slip on type. This is what the pros use.

So how do you do the actual repair? Do you measure and cut old ones off and weld the new ones on? If you don't have a welder, then how do the slip on ones work? If screws, do you see screwheads? Poprivets?

Screws and pop rivets are not necessary. This will slip over your rusted area. I suggest using RTV gasket glue, scuff and clean surface the best you can. Put glue on tailgate area, and panel. Use tape to secure, leave overnight to cure. Wipe excess off. Next day, remove tape. The rocker kit comes with self tapping screws. I have a youtube video that shows more.

I actually just did the back side of my rocker not to long ago. I had an identical truck at my shop we were scrapping so i cut out what i needed and cut out the rot and plopped it in welded it 2 strips of black primer, cleared it and it makes it look like a new truck. Dont have a before pic... i may... but ill take a pic of what it looks like now.... so much better

If your looking for a quick and easy fix, I have it. I have aluminium panels bent to precise specs, and cover up that ugly rust. Makes it looks new again. Self tapping screws hold it in place. Popped your plastic trim back on, and your done.

YOUTUBE LINK -------> http://youtu.be/QP8z3z6Eetc
Ebay link----> http://delivr.com/1j1dp_q

OOOOOOOOOOOOOO-1-1_zps49adb749.jpg

KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK-1_zps971e95ec.jpg

LLLLLLLLLLLLLL-1_zpsc4679b12.gif

Raybuck.com is the best site i found that had rocker panels. they Have the oem complete rocker panels or you can get the slip on rockers.

Do you guys happen to know if the rockers on that site will work for an 01 sport? The year for the rockers are 91-01 but I'm unsure how identical the rockers are.

By itself, it not strong. When screwed to what you got, and then you add the hard plastic trim, pop that back on, then replace the end screws, and its strong as can be. The sell proper rocker 'slip on' for $50 each. Requires welding. I have 2 panels, Left and Right, with screws for installation. All for $49.95 includes shipping.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had rust on my X's RP I since then cut an replacesd the whole section on both driver an pass.side...

Back