• Register Today It's free!

f150 brakes on a 4th gen explorer

06bluez

Reaction score
City, State
St Charles MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'10 Sport Trac Adrenalin
So I have a theory that the 2010+ f150 front brakes can be made to work on a 4th gen explorer, 2nd gen ST.

The main advantage to this possible upgrade is for the use of the larger f150 rotors. the explorer rotors are 12", f150's are 13.8". this should increase the braking performance and heat handling capabilities of the brakes. After 40k, my stock front rotors are looking pretty bad, overheated and slightly warped.

I have a few measurements for the explorer caliper/bracket, just need to find a '10+ f150 to measure. My theory is that the explorer caliper can still be used in the f150 caliper bracket, just based on visuals.

f150 caliper/bracket:
getimage.php

4th gen explorer caliper/bracket:
getimage.php

Noticeable differences are the location of the brake line mount, top vs rear. My theory is if the caliper slide pin/bolt distance is the same, you can use the explorer caliper in the f150 bracket.

On top of all of this the rotor measurements need to be similar to use OEM f150 rotors. The rotor offset from the hub will need to be the same, and the hub bore diameter will also need to be the same. I'll need to redrill the 6 lug pattern on the rotors to a 5/4.5 pattern but don't think that will be an issue. If rotor offset, hub measurements are not close it may be easier to have custom rotors made. Possibly even piecing together some 2 piece rotors from Wilwood, etc.

thoughts? anyone have access to a '10+ f150 that can take a few measurements?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are a whole host of things that can be done. I used 2001-2003 F150 calipers on my Ranger with a Cobra rotor on front and Explorer disc on the rear. I have Ford "GT" Brembos and GT500 rotors on my Sporttrac. The rotors need to bored out slightly larger, bolt pattern is the same. Rotor is 14" diameter by 1.25" thick and slightly less offset. This helped to line up the mounting bolts for the caliper. Also to clear the tie rod end, don't forget that when going larger. You will most likely have to either machine the F150 bracket or make an adapter bracket. That is what I did on my Ranger, then used F150 caliper and mounting bracket. The Cobra rotor should work but will need the center bored to match the step in our hubs. Working on rear Brembos and 14" rear rotors now. That is going to be a bit tricky...:usa:

Assuming you can get them to fit, you will need either wheel adapters or F-150 wheels because the bolt pattern is different. Calahan's deal works because Mustangs have the same bolt pattern as Sport Tracs.

Yea, lots of assumptions, just wanted to post an idea. the bolt pattern would remain the same 5 on 4.5 because I wouldn't be changing out the hubs. I'd just have to redrill the bolt pattern on the f150 rotor.

Calahan, if you are ever interested in making an adapter or kit I'd buy one! the brakes are the main complaint I have about my truck. Do you know what a set of Ford GT calipers go for? I'm kind of afraid to ask... Do you still have the measurements for the adapter brackets you made?

Looks like our hub size is around 82mm, stepped out from 70.3 for the wheels, and the '10+ f150 rotors center bore is 90mm, so OEM f150 rotors are out...

I have thought about it. A few members on my sport trac had asked the same thing. I used those "GT" calipers because they were left over from my Cobra project and I wanted the radial mounting because of the tight area to work in. I got the calipers straight from Ford on a really good deal and still have over $1000 in them just for calipers, pads and hardware. I am in the middle of working out the rear set up. That one is going to be tricky. If I do it again or in a kit form I would probably work with some Wilwood calipers because of cost. Wilwoods would probably drop cost out of pocket about $300 dollars or so. If you guys give me some time I am trying to get my tubular manifolds done and work out the rear brakes and install clutch in the Cobra. Hopefully after the beginning of the year I will be caught up some and can maybe concentrate on making a few kits for brakes and my coil over Bilsteins are working out great too...

Did you do any calculations to check if the new caliper piston area was going to be a close match to the OEM caliper/MC?

I don't really know where to start when looking at all the different kinds of caliper combinations that Wilwood offers..

want to share any info on your coilovers? sounds interesting!

If memory serves me well, the "GT" calipers are the same as a GT500 and are around 4.24 sq.in. I believe. The rears are right around 2.4 sq.in. They should work fine on the stock master cylinder. The fronts work great. If anything they are a bit over braked for the rear. I can actually get them to lock up first before antilock kicks in and the rears make only a wisper. That is one reason for the upgrade on the rear too. But, I also have braided hoses on the front and not the back as of yet. Pedal is slightly harder than stock. Easily managed and driveable. My wife drives it without any issues or complaints. The shocks are Bilsteins with Eibach 2 1/2" coil springs using the stock bolts and mounts. I made the seats for the springs in a lathe. They can be seen in my library @ Mysporttrac.com The spring rate is about a 40% increase with very little change in ride quality. Handleing is improved and stability in winds and curves on the highway with a load is pretty incredible. I have made several trips to Pismo Beach ( about 3 1/2 hour drive ) from my house. Through mountains, rain, wind and idiots too. It almost acts as if there is no load in it. You just feel the weight difference, vehicle reaction and excessive sway is the same or better than when it was stock and at the stock ride height. I have been quite pleased with the outcome.

a better rotor suggestion or upgrade? PLEASE HELP!

Has anyone done anything or have a reasonable easy upgrade solution? I have an 08 Adrenalin. I tried Cross drilled rotors with EBC Green pads and only lasted 1 1/2 years and rotors and pads are shot. I need either a better rotor suggestion or upgrade? PLEASE HELP! :(

If memory serves me well, the "GT" calipers are the same as a GT500 and are around 4.24 sq.in. I believe. The rears are right around 2.4 sq.in. They should work fine on the stock master cylinder. The fronts work great. If anything they are a bit over braked for the rear. I can actually get them to lock up first before antilock kicks in and the rears make only a wisper. That is one reason for the upgrade on the rear too. But, I also have braided hoses on the front and not the back as of yet. Pedal is slightly harder than stock. Easily managed and driveable. My wife drives it without any issues or complaints. The shocks are Bilsteins with Eibach 2 1/2" coil springs using the stock bolts and mounts. I made the seats for the springs in a lathe. They can be seen in my library @ Mysporttrac.com The spring rate is about a 40% increase with very little change in ride quality. Handleing is improved and stability in winds and curves on the highway with a load is pretty incredible. I have made several trips to Pismo Beach ( about 3 1/2 hour drive ) from my house. Through mountains, rain, wind and idiots too. It almost acts as if there is no load in it. You just feel the weight difference, vehicle reaction and excessive sway is the same or better than when it was stock and at the stock ride height. I have been quite pleased with the outcome.

There are a whole host of things that can be done. I used 2001-2003 F150 calipers on my Ranger with a Cobra rotor on front and Explorer disc on the rear. I have Ford "GT" Brembos and GT500 rotors on my Sporttrac. The rotors need to bored out slightly larger, bolt pattern is the same. Rotor is 14" diameter by 1.25" thick and slightly less offset. This helped to line up the mounting bolts for the caliper. Also to clear the tie rod end, don't forget that when going larger. You will most likely have to either machine the F150 bracket or make an adapter bracket. That is what I did on my Ranger, then used F150 caliper and mounting bracket. The Cobra rotor should work but will need the center bored to match the step in our hubs. Working on rear Brembos and 14" rear rotors now. That is going to be a bit tricky...:usa:
Did you ever fit larger brakes to the rear? Can you give me the particulars on the front?

Back