F150 Coil Seats Install and Shackles for TTB suspension based platforms | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

F150 Coil Seats Install and Shackles for TTB suspension based platforms

f150 coil springs will give you about 4 inches of lift so you will need drop brackets to get it aligned and you will need some kind of mounting tabs to keep the coils in the ranger coil buckets

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

f150 coil springs will give you about 4 inches of lift so you will need drop brackets to get it aligned and you will need some kind of mounting tabs to keep the coils in the ranger coil buckets

AchromicSkin,

I have my Skyjacker 4" drop brackets I'd sale if you need them. PM if interested.

Here's a pic of them on the truck. They'll come with all the bolts and will install just like in the pic.

Skyjacker drop brackets.jpg

...AchromicSkin, any updtes on your progress...:popcorn:

...AchromicSkin, any updtes on your progress...:popcorn:

well i guess I'll post some info and pics from this weekend...just not done yet, waiting on the drop brackets from nak4af to come in to fix the forward rotation.

Shot of stock 8" Stud Bolt, to 10" Grade 8 3/4"
22543_1181001736507_1572115862_30427690_5419658_n.jpg

F150 Coil being installed on F150 Seat...notice the insane rotation forward by the Stub coming through the swing arm. haha. This is still compressing the springs greatly.
22543_1181001776508_1572115862_30427691_7199397_n.jpg

Far shot of the coil and seat sitting in place before I started tightening it down
22543_1181001856510_1572115862_30427693_5657516_n.jpg

Here is the Stud tightened down pulling the coil against the seat
22543_1181001896511_1572115862_30427694_6278055_n.jpg

...I wasn't going to post yet cuz I did get the passenger side together, and put the tire next the the hub...and looks like it lifted around 5"...soooo...I'm doing some playing around with it...possibly going just F150 coils without the seats...well see where it goes when the drop brackets show up :)

^

You have a PM!

Great thread. I went a size too big on my tires and this was just what I needed to get my fender clearance back. Thanks

...I'm glad you found this thread useful and it helped you out...:biggthump

Ok, well the truck is on the road again...kinda sad though...only ended up doing the F150 seat with stock spring...
I didn't realize the cross member bracket had rivits along with nuts/bolts...so not having anything to remove rivits...kinda got stuck again yesterday. haha.
and money got a little tight anyways, and I still need a drop pitman arm ($69 from local dealer) and some longer shocks...sooo what i'm thinking is putting some parts together and finishing up the lift when I have a few hundo...i'm actually thinking about getting the F150 coil buckets or have my friend make me a set so I can fit longer shocks and the coils a little better.
I'm having thoughts still around using the F150 coils...I like that they will stiffen the ride to reduce body roll...the only thing I'm worried about now is flex/travel that they will give me. When I sat the truck down on the F150 coils, they only compressed the coil about 1 1/2", where the stock coil compressed around 3" - 3 1/2"...I've seen posts about using late year F150/Bronco coils...does anyone have experience with these to know if they stiffen the ride or just increase travel? My goal is to have a descent amount of travel but also stiffen the front up so I don't feel like i'm going to roll over around every corner, haha.
Thanks!

...I'm finally having fun with a tinker toy in the garage...just wish I had all my dads tools like before...being in an apartment now sucks...haha.

I used an impact chisel on my brakcets. It was not a high air flow compressor so it took a loooong time to get them cut off.

BTW...Why does your sig show your vehicles as "RIP" did they get destroyed or did you sell them? Just curious.

I used an impact chisel on my brakcets. It was not a high air flow compressor so it took a loooong time to get them cut off.

BTW...Why does your sig show your vehicles as "RIP" did they get destroyed or did you sell them? Just curious.

all I have available to get the rivits out is a disc grinder...and im guessing that would take even longer...and being in an apartment, the only outlet I have is the one the garage door is plugged into...

and RIP was just easy...I updated my sig ;) haha...the talon was parted out, and the tC was totally parted out before I had Toyota come pick it up ;) haha it was missing: engine, trans, radiator, condenser, steering linkage, hood, fenders, bumpers, side skirts, headlights, tail lights, rims/tires, sun roof glass, rear complete hatch, steering wheel, front seats, center console, radio...and I think that was it...so it was pretty much a shell. haha

(i'm really hyjacking this thread...lol...i might do another thread when i get everything done that I want to so if anyone else wants to follow what I did on a 4x2 its available.)

Has anyone had any luck actually finding cheap f-150 coil seats? It seems like I cannot find them anywhere even for the b part number, it seems to be discontinued, all I can find is the a one, at like 55 bucks a pop, no thanks on that one for me, I am to cheap to shell out that kind of money, but wanted to do this to my 93 ex. There aren't any car junkyards around here so I'm outta luck on that route too. :(

...They are listed for sale in our classifieds quite often..;)

Has anyone had any luck actually finding cheap f-150 coil seats? It seems like I cannot find them anywhere even for the b part number, it seems to be discontinued, all I can find is the a one, at like 55 bucks a pop, no thanks on that one for me, I am to cheap to shell out that kind of money, but wanted to do this to my 93 ex. There aren't any car junkyards around here so I'm outta luck on that route too. :(

I'll sell you mine that I listed in post #152. PM me and we can talk price and shipping. They are not on my truck, so I could ship them quickly.

I also listed the vehicle that they came off of in case you want to go to a junk yard and get them yourself.

Alright I read through most of this thread, but never found a definite answer. I already have a 5.5" superlift installed on my 4wd X. I recently built a front bumper out of 1/4" plate. The bumper is so heavy that it makes my front end sag and messes with the alignment, lol.

Question: Is it ok to use the f150 coil spacer, in conjunction with the lift, to bring my front end back up to the correct height?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In general, yes. What you have to watch for is that the f-150 coil seat doesn't lift the front high enough so that you can't keep the camber aligned.

If the front end dropped one inch with the bumper weight, the coil seats will actually lift the front slightly over where it was before the bumper. That means you may need an alignment (camber at least) but it didn't lift it so much that it will throw you to the point where it can't get aligned.

In short (I know, too late) it depends on how much the bumper screwed up the alignment (lowering) compared with how much the coil seat will mess with the alignment (lift).. But putting it under a lift coil is safe.

~Mark

Back