• Register Today It's free!

Factory Premium Audio Amplifier

smokedawg17

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Eddie Bauer
my factory amp went in my 92 explorer...i just wanted to know will any ford amplifier work? or do i have to get one from a explorer, i've seen several others and the plugs look the same. so would for example and 92 ford contenintal or taurus premium amplfiier work fine with my stereo?

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check the nsn on each if they are the same then yes.

'92 Explorer Premium Sound Amp

Well, I don't know what "nsn"s are (and I worked at the FACTORY!), but, here is the scoop on your 1992 Explorer Preimum Sound Amplifier.

If your Explorer has a Ford JBL Audio System, then the amp from another Ford vehicle will NOT work. The amp in the JBL system is a five channel model, with 4 amplified channels and a line-out for a separate SW amp. It is EQ'd uniquely to the carline and bodystyle it was designed for.

If your Explorer has "Premium Sound" (without JBL), then an amp from another Ford or L/M product will work, provided that the donor vehicle had a "Premium Sound" System, and not a Ford JBL System.

In short, the 4 channel amps from Premium Sound Systems will interchange, the 5 channel amps from the Ford JBL systems will not.

regards,

cobrajeff

smokedawg17 said:
my factory amp went in my 92 explorer...i just wanted to know will any ford amplifier work? or do i have to get one from a explorer, i've seen several others and the plugs look the same. so would for example and 92 ford contenintal or taurus premium amplfiier work fine with my stereo?

thanks
2 door or 4 door? the one in my truck should work for you, I just need to pull it out of the truck first (which i might be doing real soon)

If BOTH vehicles have Premium Sound (and NEITHER has JBL) the amp will work, no matter which body style.

regards,

cobrajeff

Back