ExplorerDMB

Moderator/Technician
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Mechanicsville, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Acura TL
I have tested this only on a '98 Ford F-150 and my '00 Explorer, and it has worked both times.

There is a factory "self-test" for the radio that starts by having the radio on, and having it on FM (Do not have it on CD, it will not work). Once you have it on FM, push and hold #3 and #6 buttons and the radio will run a self test at which it'll send the sound to the RF, LF, LR, RR speaker while displaying which speaker it is at on the display.

So why is this useful? Say you have no sound in one speaker - now all you have to do is test for current/voltage down there when it goes into self test mode and if you get voltage, your speaker is bad. Otherwise you have either a wire issue or a head unit issue. But if you have a good ground and you aren't getting power/current, then you should trace the power wire to the head unit (if you can). Hope this helps someone out.

The only thing I ask from you is that you try on your Explorer and then post back on here your year, model, and possibly radio choice (premium or not). Thanks

-Drew

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i try it on mine and the test worked its a 98 explorer xlt with am/fm/cd.
i don't no if it a premium or not? how can you tell?

Worked.

'98 XLT - single CD w/o subwoofer

I think I have the '97 and earlier style radio, since I have a factory external amp in the pass. side rear quarter panel. With an 8/97 build date, I also have a '97 steering wheel and a few other parts.

works on the 99 am/fm/cd/cassette w/changer/subwoofer

works on 01 Mercury Sable

it worked on my 98 eddie bauer

Worked on my '04 Eddie Bauer - (Audiophile stereo)

It worked in my 96 (JBL system)

ExplorerDMB said:
I have tested this only on a '98 Ford F-150 and my '00 Explorer, and it has worked both times.

There is a factory "self-test" for the radio that starts by having the radio on, and having it on FM (Do not have it on CD, it will not work). Once you have it on FM, push and hold #3 and #6 buttons and the radio will run a self test at which it'll send the sound to the RF, LF, LR, RR speaker while displaying which speaker it is at on the display.

So why is this useful? Say you have no sound in one speaker - now all you have to do is test for current/voltage down there when it goes into self test mode and if you get voltage, your speaker is bad. Otherwise you have either a wire issue or a head unit issue. But if you have a good ground and you aren't getting power/current, then you should trace the power wire to the head unit (if you can). Hope this helps someone out.

The only thing I ask from you is that you try on your Explorer and then post back on here your year, model, and possibly radio choice (premium or not). Thanks

-Drew
Hey...thanks for the info...it's cool.
I tried it on a 98 Explorer Mach CD/radio/cassette and a 98 Explorer Premium
CD/Radio/cassette...worked on both.

There's a sticker on the bottom side of the radio that identifies the type of radio....Mach, Premium, or standard.

Thanks.

Pretty cool! it worked on my 95 Eddie Bauer..cassette with the built in amp...I will have to try this again when the 1999 factory CD with built in amp unit gets installed :)

FYI... just tried this on my '97 Sport (I think it's the premium? It has a Casette, rear controls, but no changer), it works. Does it also test the changer, becuase it told me that no DJ was attatched.

Also, I tried every other combo I could think of, and 3 and 5 was the only other one that did something: it disabled the rear controls :D I'm sure you people knew that, but it was exciting for me :p

2001 Xsport with Pioneer 6CD HU worked

Hmm, it didn't work on my new radio ('98 single CD w/selective lighting). I can't turn off the rear controls either.

EDIT: on the original 97 HU, it only takes a quick push of the buttons. On this one, you have to hold them for a few seconds :D

Works with my Ranger unit. Had a couple DTCs, but I couldn't track down what they were related to.

That's pretty slick! It even tests the subwoofer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For the radio.

Back