Factory radios replacement with aftermarket Kenwood. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Factory radios replacement with aftermarket Kenwood.

jesters

Reaction score
City, State
909,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT
Alright fella's im kind of a newbie to theads but her it goes, I just recently got my 03 explorer, My factory radio's Cd changer does not work, i want to replace it with an aftermarket kenwood headunit, although i have connected properly and works fine my factory subwoofer doesnt seem to be working at all although it did with my factory stereo. Is there anything i can do to hook it up with my aftermarket headunit? Dead Link Removed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sub

I think the subwoofer has to be hooked up to the remote power switch (from the headunit) to turn it on, there may also be a ground that needs to be hooked up.

Crutchfield.com sells the adapter .

Crutchfield.com sells the adapter .

They do, but they wont sell it separately. You need to purchase it with the adapter that you already have, kinda sucks.

But all you will need to do is clip that into the small harness in the dash, connect the red and white plugs into the headunit and connect the two blue/white wires to the harness that has all the power and speaker wires.

Also if the unit is a double din then you need to go to radio shack and purchase an adapter as double dins output 12V where the stock headunit only put out 5V, if you don't use the adapter you will hear a loud popping come from the amp every time you turn the truck on b/c the amp will be receiving too much power.

Also if the unit is a double din then you need to go to radio shack and purchase an adapter as double dins output 12V where the stock headunit only put out 5V, if you don't use the adapter you will hear a loud popping come from the amp every time you turn the truck on b/c the amp will be receiving too much power.
No...sorry. It doesn't work that way. AT ALL!!! I'm assuming you're speaking of High level/Low level outputs. Almost ALL double DIN's have a high, AND low level output. Most double DIN's have 2 Volt, low level output. If you're lucky, you might get 4 Volt output. I prefer 4V-5V output. The 12 Volt the previous poster is referring to, is likely, the HIGH level output. High voltage AND High current... THIS is also known as speaker level output. And, should NEVER be hooked up to LOW LEVEL output, without an adapter. Both have their place. But, you need to know which one you are using, and when to use them! The low level should be used in conjunction with a downstream component, such as equalizer, crossover, or amplifier. The HIGH level output is for directly powering speakers.

WTF?!?! No...sorry. It doesn't work that way. AT ALL!!! I'm assuming you're speaking of High level/Low level outputs. Almost ALL double DIN's have a high, AND low level output. Most double DIN's have 2 Volt, low level output. If you're lucky, you might get 4 Volt output. I prefer 4V-5V output. The 12 Volt the previous poster is referring to, is likely, the LOW level output. High voltage AND High current... THIS is also known as speaker level output. (Sorry, if the terminnology seems counterintuitive.) And, should NEVER be hooked up to LOW LEVEL output, without an adapter. Both have their place. But, you need to know which one you are using, and when to use them! The low level should be used in conjunction with a downstream component, such as equalizer, crossover, or amplifier. The HIGH level output is for directly powering speakers.

You seem to be calling the 2/4V level the low output, then you call the 12V the low output. (See underlined statement in quote.) This seems confusing.

That's cause i need to PROOF READ! Let's try this again. Preamp level outputs, 2V-5V. Speaker level output, are the wires terminating in bare, stripped ends. The preamp level outputs terminate in RCA connections. Preamp level, for downstream EQ's, crossovers, amps, etc. Speaker level wires for speakers, only. Though, they can be used as preamp level IF you use an adapter. However, if your source unit has preamp level outputs already, why buy an adapter that you don't need?

Umm Triton is correct although maybe he did not explain it well enough for some. The 12v, 5v he is talking about is the trigger line (turns the amp on) and if you don't knock it down to 5v it will make a pop noise every time you turn the truck on.

Here is a link in the audio section of this forum that talks about wiring in a factory sub to an after market radio.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154055

Here is the part I used to stop the pop

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...ulator&kw=voltage+regulator&parentPage=search

I now have a different amp and sub so I can feed it 12v but the factory sub did not like it when I did that.

Back