• Register Today It's free!

Factory Sub

WILL

Reaction score
City, State
Alsip, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT SOHC
I have the Premium sound and my amplifier is going out. The right channel keeps cutting out till u crank the volume up to max then it cuts in and stays around for a while at normal. Ford has one for $150 so that is what I am gettin, ANYWAYS I am looking to add the sub that comes with the JBL system. Do I need to add a second amp for the sub and if so do I need to get a different main amp to patch in or run some wires from the head unit to accomidate? In closing is there anyone out there getting rid of their factory parts wanna sell them? Subwoofer and the 2 amps? or one amp?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ah Will, you're not really gonna pay that much for another factory sub just so it can blow out again are ya? Take that 150 and get a MTX replacement at least.

i agree. but if a facotry amp is what you want..............

anyway, to answer your question:
the factory systems with a subwoofer from 91-97 used 2 seperate factory amps. one is for the door speakers, and the other is for the subwoofer. in 98 they just had a subwoofer amp. the headunit powered the doors.

Ok I am not looking to replace the sub I am looking to add the factory one. I need to replace the factory 4 speaker amp. It looks like I have to add the amp for the sub in order to install it too. Here's one final ? is there a spot to add the factory sub amp along with the wiring to my existing setup 97 am/fm/cass/cd changer

the easier/better thing to do would buy an amplified MTX thunderform. it fits in the stock location, and installs in just a few minutes. the amp is built in. just hook up the power and signal wires and you're set.

So what ur saying pull out the existing sub cut the connectors and resplice to the MTX, don't I have to install some RCA plugs or something? That MTX would handle a sub right? In that case is there an aftermarket sub that I can put in place of my cargo hole

Will, I think you're a little confused. The MTX Thunderform is a sub AND an amp together that replaces the factory sub in the EXISTING hole. I believe there are RCA plugs right on the front, so all you have to do is hook the thing up.

Yes I am confused...so I remove the panel replace my factory 4 speaker amp that is going bad, cut the hole in my panel for the sub like the factory, install the sub and wire the amp to the sub and to my existing factory 4 speaker amp. The install will be finished by purchasing the factory sub grille? Am I getting closer to what is going on?

No cutting, just removal of the panel and installing of the sub as far as I know. The sub grille comes with the sub.

(dead link)

Good luck

Ok its beginning to click...that fits where my net is, I just remove the net and install. There is abuilt in amp I just connect it to my factory 4 speaker amp. Will the factory amp handle that...no wait the amp is really only sending a signal to the sub which already has an amp.
So I can in the future upgrade my factory amp too....now how hard is that now that I understand the sub.

yes the thunderform is an amp and sub combo. you will just run signal and power to it and that's it. no cutting of the panel is involved. you'll get a factory look, with better sound and performance.

are you still running the stock head unit... if not take a look at my set up on my page and it might interest you a bit i am pretty happy with it. If you have any questions on it send me an email.

Thanks but I am looking for inform w/ my 97...slightly different beast thanks anyhow

if you looked at one of the earlier posts in this discussion one of they guys pointed out that 91-97 all have the same set up. mine had two amps before. bipassed one and just went to one for the sub.

If you are looking for a factory sub, I have one. It doesnt have the jbl sub anymore it has a lanzar 6 1/2. You will notice a big difference with the mtx but this still fills in the lows. It sounds good for alot cheaper $60 plus shipping. IT does have the space for the factory amps to mount

That is just the sub not the amp that goes with the factory sub. Need to have both right

yes thats right, just the sub and the box. I blew both my factory amps when I hooked up my excelon deck with 8 volts coming out of the preouts. I would replace your factory amp with a five channel. It would be the simplest setup and would sound alot better than factory and probably be more reliable

Will,

I've got the factory sub and amp out of my '99, I'll sell it to you for $80 plus shipping. I can get pics if you would like.

Tig- The sub in 99 was the same execpt the sixe of the woofer. The amp is the same or connects to my stock amp the same way right

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

(lost photo)

I found this pic online, it looks exactly like the one I have. I'll try to get some pictures of my actual sub this weekend. I'm pretty sure mine uses the same connections, but I'll have to call my local Ford parts department to make sure. I'll call tomorrow and get back to you.

Back