• Register Today It's free!

Factory Window Tint

acuzerfdw

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer Sport 2WD
I took my '97 Explorer to the tint shop to have the windows tinted. The guy looked at my truck and told me that the back side windows have a factory 'silver' tint in them so if he installed the black tint on those windows, that would bring out the silver even more. He told me that it would be better to go with a 'silver' tint so all the windows match.

I've seen Explorers on the streets with the 'black' tint on them and didn't notice any silver in them. Did Ford install different tint windows in various Explorers or is mine the only one with 'silver' tint in them??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for that link. The guy at the shop is getting a metalized tint that should match with the rear windows. I'm taking it back Tuesday to get it done. I'll post pictures so you guys can see the results and I'll post specs on tint.

I know on my '97 Mountaineer it has a bronze factory tint.

i put 20% on my 00 ex and it matches up perfectly...anything darker on the front would look stupid

When I was looking for a match for mine, one place said that they come pretty close using two layers of tint. I just went with my usual tinter and his one layer of bronze for now. I may look into getting something closer in the future.

You can clearly see the reflective difference...

th_IMG_0669.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4/toypaseo/Explorer/IMG_0669.jpg

So I got my windows tinted this weekend and I have to say, they did a really good job! They had to use a different tint so all the windows matched. Here are the before and after pictures. What do you think???

BEFORE:
DSCF0237-1.jpg

DSCF0240.jpg

AFTER:
DSCF0241.jpg

DSCF0244-1.jpg

Looks really good man, can't see any issue with that job :thumbsup: How much did it run you? I'm thinking about getting my windows tinted but I need to know how much I should save up.

They charged me $150 for all the windows. I didn't want to go too dark in the back because I don't want to have problems looking out at night while reversing or something. I did 35% on the front windows and 20% on all the other ones. My rear side windows had the "mirror" tint in the glass from the factory so a different tint had to be used to match all the windows.

Looks pretty good :thumbsup:

Looks great, who ever did it matched the tint very well.

David

weird , mine had one bronze rear window and replaced it with a "smoke" coloured one, I had 5% limo on the rear and 50% on the front, all the rear windows look black(like gloss spray painted) with no silver glare now

So from what iam seeing. The 95 - 97 explorers have a bronze tint. Mine is a 98 and its more black then anything.

My Current 98

2431749_2_full.jpg

My Old 95

372207_162_full.jpg

i think XLs? had no tint/light tint maybe, but my 97 XLT had the dark non silver or bronze tint from the factory

Mine is a '97 Sport. Only the rear and large side windows had the silver factory tint in them. The others had no tint at all.

Back