fan speed fluctuates on 2015 ford explorer air conditioning | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

fan speed fluctuates on 2015 ford explorer air conditioning

Ernesto53

Reaction score
City, State
Doral, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer XLT 2015
Fan speed fluctuates rapidly without any reason. I have the automatic climate control and not even on manual will the speed stay put.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it happen when not driving? Does it only happen when driving and is it related to accelerations?

I have the same problem:
3 weeks ago a had to change my ac compressor cause the shaft was grip by losing is oil...65k miles (110000km)
This week (hot week) I made change the H-valve (relief) on high pressure side because high pressure was too high.(now good)
But this morning I remarked that my ac condenser fan runs at full speed on & off each 20 sec making the air temp inside the cabin uneven when the Explorer run on idle...

Is there anything that make the condenser fan a 2 speed? Because I never heard it so loud ans fast since the original ac?

And there’s a lot of temperature difference when I start or stop the second zone (2nd and 3nd row)

Thanks

637DC3E9-5B67-4E90-9718-5FF0CB5FE7FA.jpeg

E5BD6EA6-A49F-465E-8690-6E2631552D8F.jpeg

Fan speed fluctuates rapidly without any reason. I have the automatic climate control and not even on manual will the speed stay put.
Welcome to the Forum Ernesto.
If it was just a manual speed setting it would sound like a kind of governing (motor) issue but since there are so many electrical items involved I'm not sure what could be the cause. I'm sure someone will have an idea.

Peter

........Is there anything that make the condenser fan a 2 speed? Because I never heard it so loud ans fast since the original ac?

And there’s a lot of temperature difference when I start or stop the second zone (2nd and 3nd row)

Thanks
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I believe the fan speed is a multi-speed type since it adjusts itself depending on how much heating or cooling is required. It will blow hard if the cabin temperature is very different from what you have set at. Once the desired temperature is reached, the fan speed then reduces to maintain the set temperature.
I only ever use the front Heating/Cooling since I'm the only occupant but it could be possible that you would have some variation in temperature if you ask the system to distribute air to other zones in the vehicle. It is a big space to heat/cool.
I noticed that in your pictures the temperature is set to LO. Does it make a difference if you set an actual temperature. Usually in 'Auto' there is a temperature reading shown there.

Peter

Could you be confusing this with the recirc door opening and closing? When it opens to fresh air flow will decrease. I've noticed that I have no control over this even when switching from Auto to manual. The only way I gain 100% control is to switch to Max A/C from Auto and then hit the recir door button. Confirmed door movement with scan tool.

I have the same problem:
3 weeks ago a had to change my ac compressor cause the shaft was grip by losing is oil...65k miles (110000km)
This week (hot week) I made change the H-valve (relief) on high pressure side because high pressure was too high.(now good)
But this morning I remarked that my ac condenser fan runs at full speed on & off each 20 sec making the air temp inside the cabin uneven when the Explorer run on idle...

Is there anything that make the condenser fan a 2 speed? Because I never heard it so loud ans fast since the original ac?

Thanks
View attachment 161773

View attachment 161774

Using rear ac will raise evaporator core temps for the front unit. Both units have to share one condenser coil so the extra load takes a toll on the front core's cooling ability.

Within a few seconds after activating the rear AC I've seen evap temps raise 5+ degrees F.

As far as the condenser fan, yes there are two speeds. It has two different sets of windings on the fan and when demand is high enough the high speed is engaged (sounds like it's about to take off).

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I believe the fan speed is a multi-speed type since it adjusts itself depending on how much heating or cooling is required. It will blow hard if the cabin temperature is very different from what you have set at. Once the desired temperature is reached, the fan speed then reduces to maintain the set temperature.
I only ever use the front Heating/Cooling since I'm the only occupant but it could be possible that you would have some variation in temperature if you ask the system to distribute air to other zones in the vehicle. It is a big space to heat/cool.
I noticed that in your pictures the temperature is set to LO. Does it make a difference if you set an actual temperature. Usually in 'Auto' there is a temperature reading shown there.

Peter

Yeah! As you saw the temperature was set at LO for only testing the lowest temperature could produce with only the front or both section. As Sheltonfilms says:

Using rear ac will raise evaporator core temps for the front unit. Both units have to share one condenser coil so the extra load takes a toll on the front core's cooling ability.

Within a few seconds after activating the rear AC I've seen evap temps raise 5+ degrees F.

As far as the condenser fan, yes there are two speeds. It has two different sets of windings on the fan and when demand is high enough the high speed is engaged (sounds like it's about to take off).

He just confirmed my thoughts about the temperature load with both units ON in a hot day

Thanks guys, Finaly everything is fine for me

Back