• Register Today It's free!

Farewell 1997 Explorer

awhughes

Reaction score
City, State
Kernersville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 exp, xlt sohc, 4x4
Well after being on this board for some 10 years and racking up 201k on the 97 XLT, I had to trade it in today. The dreadfull P0715 DTC came up with crazy shifting. I was on the way to the tranny shop and took a u turn to the credit union to secure a loan for a vehicle I had test driven over the weekend.

I had been looking to replace the Explorer, but was hoping to get through the summer. Putting another $1.5k or so into it did'nt make sense.

I have fixed a many of things based on help recieved from this board and I just want to say thanks for all the help along the way.

Wha'd ya get?

Good decision- only so much money you can sink in to a sinking ship... :)

I got a Lexus GX470 SUV with Nav, 14 speaker Levingston audio, third row, t-toally loaded. I picked it up at the Mercedes dealership and it is like brand new. All maintinace since new was performed at the Lexus dealership. Also it is a local one owner car here in NC. It is an awsome ride, I couldnt be happier.

The Mercedes dealership took the Explorer on trade too, even with a known tranny problem and check engine light. The wholesaler buyer was on the lot actually during the transaction and I told him of the problems, he didnt seem to care, wholesale unit. He said he would fix it and sell it at the beginning of the year with tax refund season coming up.

Wow- cool! I 've always liked riding in those Lexi...

Besides- your Ex may have had a bad trans and a CEL, but it was still an Ex... :D

I know some of the lots around here have some spare trannys and stuff for some vehicles, they can swap that in and make some money...

Back