Feasibility of adding heated mirrors | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Feasibility of adding heated mirrors

If you're looking for a heated Interceptor mirror there doesn't appear to be one.
https://parts.autonationfordwhitebe...outside-mirrors-scat/?part_number=db5z17682uf

Peter

Allegedly it was an option for the 2014 model year. See option 549 on page 19.
http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/...pdfs/2014_PoliceInterceptorBrochurev1Rain.pdf

The Ford parts website also seems to indicate that heated mirrors were an option but it's not helpful because when I put my VIN in it tells me I have manual mirrors when I do not. My VIN only shows:

Police Version ; With Dual Manual Exterior Mirrors, Less Side Marker Lamps, (-) Middle East Market; RH, Carbon Black

When I search for all mirrors for 2014 Police Interceptor Utilities I get a ton of results. Some include:

Police Version ; Dual Power/Heated Mirrors Mic, Less Side Marker Lamps, (-) Middle East Market; RH, Carbon Black
Police Version ; Dual Power/Heated Mirrors Mic, Less Side Marker Lamps; LH, Carbon Black
Police Version ; Dual Power Heated Fold Back Mirror, Less Side Marker Lamps, (-) Middle East Market; RH, Carbon Black
Police Version ; Dual Power Heated Fold Back Mirror, Less Side Marker Lamps; LH, Black

I have no idea what "mic" means in the first two. I'm guessing I want the second two? No idea why it says "Middle East Market" maybe the "-" means not for Middle East Market?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you don't need the functionality of the Interceptor mirror you could probably use a regular Explorer mirror.

I would think the XLT mirrors would work, and you can replace just the glass.

If you don't need the functionality of the Interceptor mirror you could probably use a regular Explorer mirror.

I'm not looking for all the bells and whistles that the retail mirrors have. I just want heated and power mirrors, no turn signal, no strobe, no BLIS.

I would think the XLT mirrors would work, and you can replace just the glass.

I think the entire mirror needs to be replaced. The mirrors on my vehicle only have three pins in the connector, up/down, left/right, and signal return.

Try just removing the glass. I did on mine, and found two small gauge wires wrapped up behind it, with tiny spade connectors. Those had power when the defrost was on, all I did was replace my glass and connected the wires to the corresponding connectors on the glass.

Try just removing the glass. I did on mine, and found two small gauge wires wrapped up behind it, with tiny spade connectors. Those had power when the defrost was on, all I did was replace my glass and connected the wires to the corresponding connectors on the glass.

Not going to work. My mirrors only have three pins in positions 1, 2, and 4. Heated mirrors should have pins also in positions 6 and 8. See photo and diagram.

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=1069194

ssJOIUv.jpg

Mine didn't have them so I got a set from an XLT.

Three bolts and a plug on each side. They heat when the rear defroster heats. They also reduce the "cop car" look a bit more.

These had integrated turn signals and puddle lamps. but they don't work.

My PIU doesn't have DDM or PDM modules (Forscan doesn't see them and there's no ASBUILT data for them either).

I'd like to at least get the signals to work. I assume that's a BCM setting, but research has drawn a blank.

Well done. Now trace the turn signal and interior wires, to the closest place to connect them to your mirrors. Rewiring a car is part of the enjoyment of making them special. You can do it.

Nope, not when I know there's a cleaner way to do it.

According to factory wiring manual, it's already wired, I just to activate the cicuits.

Sure, if you or someone can decipher the circuitry and/or software, great, do it with clean hands and tap some buttons.

I like easy as much as anyone, but I don't appreciate manufacturers making things harder for me. So I'll put some effort into finding the easy way, but in short order(little patience), I'll get it done somehow. If the wires are there, great, just make the connections and use diodes as needed to avert CEL issues caused by the man. Can you tell I hate big brother(government)?

.........Can you tell I hate big brother(government)?
I like big brother(government). It makes 3 deposits per month to my bank account allowing me to live in my home and drive my Explorer.:D

Peter

I like big brother(government). It makes 3 deposits per month to my bank account allowing me to live in my home and drive my Explorer.:D

Peter

The government should only protect us, and not take care of us. We should rarely here about the government, our lives should not revolve around them, or anything they do.

The government should only protect us, and not take care of us. We should rarely here about the government, our lives should not revolve around them, or anything they do.
It's my pension that I've earned working for them for 35+ years in the Air Force and RCMP.

Peter

Don't mean to revive this from the dead, but has anyone else tried to add turn and puddle? Plug and Play heated mirrors would be awesome.

Also, what model year Explorers would fit a 2013 PUI? Or part numbers? If turn signal is tough, is there a heated only mirror (cheaper)?

So.....

I bit the bullet and ordered part number DB5Z-17683-DD for my 2014 PIU. It works great. It bolted up with no issues and has pins in positions 1, 2, 4, 6, and 8. That part number is power and heat only which is exactly what I was looking for. I'm planning to order DB5Z-17682-DH for the passenger side.

Don't mean to revive this from the dead, but has anyone else tried to add turn and puddle? Plug and Play heated mirrors would be awesome.

Also, what model year Explorers would fit a 2013 PUI? Or part numbers? If turn signal is tough, is there a heated only mirror (cheaper)?
There are no dead threads Rob. They are just sleeping, waiting to be awakened. That is why we recommend using the 'Search' feature first. ;)
Your post has been added to this one found in the 'Modified' forum and now moved here. Good luck.
I mostly use this site for part numbers, etc. Shop For Parts By Year | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake

Peter

Of course, search is my friend on fourms. Also looked through all 30 something PIU pages and am replying to relevant ones.

Excellent site for part numbers. Thank you! Unfortunately no "factory" heated mirrors for the 2013 PIU, but I'll explore . Maybe I'll get lucky since it's a 2014 option.

How do you remove just the glass? Don't wanna break it lol. I thought you slide the glass upwards, right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back