• Register Today It's free!

Few small problems

BDShort

Reaction score
City, State
Archdale, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Sport
Ive been going over a list of whats wrong with my car.

It has 4x4 capability, but when I try to engage low 4x4 the light in the dash doesn't come on, but in order to get to low you have to go past high first, and the high light stays on. Does it mean my low four wheel drive won't work? What's a possible fix?

Another thing I've noticed is that when shifting from park to drive/reverse/neutral, my needle is off alignment. When I have it in drive, my needle is on 2, when I have it in reverse my needle is on N, when I have it in park, it's on R and so on. Is there a quick fix to this?

I have a 99 Ford Explorer Sport, v6 SOHC. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For the shift indicator--
under the steering column you will find a small plastic "gear" looking device. This is the adjust ment for the shift indicator.

attachment.php

For the 4wd issue, the most common "problem" is a dirty shift motor. There is a sensor inside which tells the 4x4 computer which position it is in, and, if this sensor is dirty the 4x4 module becomes confused-

I think there is a 4wd troubleshooting thread in the transmission and differentials sub forum.

If the ABS light is displayed, this will prevent 4x4 operation also--keep this in mind.

I went under there today and I did find it, but my white piece is broken and when I twisted the black piece nothing happened in the dash :(

Here's a few pictures I took.
This is how bad the indicator is offset:
img06771y.jpg

and I did find the adjustment piece here:
img06781.jpg

But the white mounting piece on the top broke off, it's still around the wire but it's not mounting anything...
img06801.jpg

I moved the gear looking piece up and down and nothing changed anything. It's still offset.

As for the 4x4 I don't even know where to begin looking lol. I haven't looked into the location of the transfer case or anything, but when I get the time I'll get back to you on that also.

So what do I need to do to fix the needle placement? :s

Back