Final verdict for my gearing!

ckomai

Reaction score
City, State
Long Beach,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer
So ive looked up all the posts on 4.10 vs 4.56 and ive decided to go with
4.10's because im desert racing (dirt not sand), not 4x4ing much and it's also my daily driver. I currently have 3.55's and 31" tires. I'm going to bump up to 33" (10.5" wide, not 12.5") and im not ever going up to 35". So my question for all the gear swappers. Is it worth the money to go from 3.55's to 4.10? Keep in mind im paying for the gears and the labor to put them in. A couple hundred can go a long way somewhere else on the truck, but I also don't want to destroy my tranny/drivetrain. I guess in a nutshell, I know 4.10 is better but will 3.55 be ok for the truck?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go with the 4.10's, you'll be much better off in the long run. I run 33x12.50x15's on the street with 3.73 gears, and would much rather have 4.10's. I don't want to imagine running 33's and 3.55's cause 3.73's is bad enough. Bottom line, go with the 4.10's, you'll be glad you did.

thats what I think you and everyone else is going to say. Lucky for me my mechanic is working from home right now so im getting great prices.

Or

Or you can check out the Pick-n-Pull and buy a 3.73 rear and front pumpkin for probably $200. Get them both in in 1 day.

New gears and labor are going to be around $1,000.

Heck, if you were up here in the NW, I have a 3.73 set (front pumpkin and rear axle) for $150

what happens if I only do the rear?

If your paying for gears go 4.56 especially if your racing....

Also I don't think you needed FOUR threads all about gears.one would have covered it....

If your paying for gears go 4.56 especially if your racing....

Agreed!... just cause you think you aren't goin to go over 33" doesn't mean your not if you find a good deal on some tires/rims down the road ( I was gonna keep my 33" tsl swampers on stock rims forever until someone traded me a 90% set of 315/75/R16 Hercules mud terrains on 4 Mickey Thompson classic 2 wheels straight up)... and the deeper the gear you have = more fun

I ran 4.88s for a few years with 32s on. Seemed I always wanted more bottom end not top. Now with 35s on I wish I would of gone even lower.

Back