• Register Today It's free!

Getting lower gears

ckomai

Reaction score
City, State
Long Beach,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer
I'm currently waiting for my my 4.56's from ebay to swap out my 3.55's. 4.56 should be lower than stock gearing for my 33's I believe while 4.10's would be closer to stock. So my question is, am I going to be quicker off the line than when I had stock tires with my 3.55's? Or because the tires are bigger is this only going to correct things mathematically and still be slower because of bigger tires?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You'll get a little more bottom end torque which is great for off road use, but you'll also be revving the engine a bit higher at "normal" speeds so that will drop your MPG a little.

Your be about the same.bigger tires weigh wayyy more which ROBS power bad.4.56 will be about dead on for 33s depending on the true measurement.

I run 4:56s with 33's and it is way quicker off the line the the old gears..

got them in today. wow! my X is fun to drive again! I can chirp the tires a bit from a dead stop which I couldn't do with stock gearing and stock tires. I love this forum because it helped persuade me to go 4.56 over 4.10. I think I would have been dissapointed getting 4.10's for the money I spent. Honestly wish I could afford the gas for 4.88's but 4.56 is a perfect balance for my Daily driver.

got them in today. wow! my X is fun to drive again! I can chirp the tires a bit from a dead stop which I couldn't do with stock gearing and stock tires. I love this forum because it helped persuade me to go 4.56 over 4.10. I think I would have been dissapointed getting 4.10's for the money I spent. Honestly wish I could afford the gas for 4.88's but 4.56 is a perfect balance for my Daily driver.

If you went from 3.55 to 4.56 then I'm sure its a crazy difference. .lol personally I think an ex needs 4.88 for 33s depending on the 33s.I LOVED my 4.88s and 33s and considering I didn't drive highway I got better mpg

NEVER FEAR THE GEAR!!!!!! Those that say go smaller have never driven with the right gears!!! Lol;)

Back