Finally got the money to lower my truck, need some advice now | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Finally got the money to lower my truck, need some advice now

Afboy143

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Tampa,FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Sport
Well last christmas I got 2" blocks for the rear thinking thats all I needed to lower my truck but after doing more research I was wrong. Well now I have the money for the shocks, adjustment, and camber adjusters. I want to drop the rear 2 inches since its already lower 1" stock for a total of 3" and take the bolts all the way out in the front which will hopefull drop 3" Also. I know I will need new shocks but I dont know which kind to get or where to get them. I want to try and not go over 150$ Also I know I need to shave my bump stops but how much? So blocks for the rear, take bolts all the way out in the front and get camber adjusters and alignment, then all new shocks. Sounds good right? Now where do I buy these shocks?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Shocks under $150? Gabriel VST for about $100. You install them.
Where? Pep Boys or any large auto parts store in your area.
Bump Stop? I took 1/3 off. Seems to be enough in my case with just 2.25 drop.

Lower the front first before deciding what to do in the back. You don't want to end up with the truck tilting up.

well how good are these shocks? I dont wanna end up with some crappy shocks...

Afboy143 said:
well how good are these shocks? I dont wanna end up with some crappy shocks...
Go buy the old saying, "you get what you pay for"..... figure the Gabrials go for 20$/ea i guess, ide try some Rancho 5ks or something else, but i guess is money is tight the gabriels are fine, Dotn get me wrong from what i read these Gabriels are woudners over stock so they should do fine, they just may wear out a little quicker

I don't think your shocks will make to much of a difference. These trucks ride hard, and lowering them makes it all that much worse.

Without buying lowering shocks, the ride will suffer anyways that much more, as well as wear them alot faster.

well I called pep boys about those gabriels and they dont stock that company nemore, just menroe. Does anyone have ne more ideas on shocks under 150? I really want to get my truck lowered!

Rancho's make a good product, and will be te next shocks on my truck. I believe you can get the Explorer shocks in a slightly shorter version from them. I'd call a suspension place, or somewhere that isn't a factory replacement place like autozone, pepboys, ect.

Back