FINALLY!!!! No more friggin' Subaru Outback! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

FINALLY!!!! No more friggin' Subaru Outback!

Hokie

Hokius Maximus
Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 TJ Sport
Hey guys, I apologize for the considerable absence from this forum. I haven't forgotten y'all, I've just gone through a tremendous amount of crap in my life in the last 9-12 months... :dunno:

Anyway, I FINALLY got rid of the freaking Les-baru Outback, that I've been driving for going on 2 years now (after, in a moment of insanity in early 2008, I got rid of my super stock, 32" tire, 5.0 4x4 Mountaineer... :crazy:)

Anyway, I finally got back into a 4x4. But, unfortunately, its not a Ford. (Don't worry, as soon as I move back to CO I'll have a Ranger or F150 parked in the driveway). Dad had two 3rd Gen, 2002 Explorers that I got to drive over the years, and I really tried to like them. But for my needs they're too big (I really wanted something right between the length of my old '98 Mountaineer and my 2 door '99 X Sport) So, try as I might, I just didn't like the 3rd Gen Explorers that I saw here in Houston. Anyway, when I saw this I was hooked...

Here are the specs.

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 "Rocky Mountain Edition"
* 4.0L I6 engine - standard (42RE 4-speed transmission)

Rocky Mountain Edition Unique features:

* Production start/end: May, 2004
* The last "WJ" series model (1999-2004, last of the fr/rr solid axle Jeep Grand Cherokees)
* Limited production run
* Special "Rocky Mountain Edition" badging

Other features:

* Adjustable Roof Rail Crossbars
* AM/FM, Cassette, CD, Equalizer, 10-Disc Changer
* 6 Infinity® Speakers with 180w amplifier
* Automatic Headlamps
* Auxiliary 12-Volt Power Outlet
* Cargo Compartment Cover
* Water Resistant Cloth Bucket Seats
* Covered Cargo Storage
* Dana 35C/194MM Rear Axle
* Front and Rear Floor Mats
* Fog Lamps
* Luxury Group
* Mini Overhead Console
* P235/65R17 OWL All-Terrain Tires
* 17-inch Spare Steel Wheel
* 17-inch Rogue cast aluminum wheels, chrome finish
* Power Seats
* Power Sunroof
* Remote Keyless Entry
* Security Alarm
* Selec-Trac transfer case (2HI, AWD, 4HI, 4LO, N)
* Sun Visors with Illuminated Vanity Mirrors
* Traveler/Mini Trip Computer
* Universal Garage Door Opener
* Vehicle Information Center

Options:

* Power heated mirrors
* Skid plate group

Best part is, the Jeep has spent all but 3 (summer) months of its life in rust free southern Texas! :cool:

So... I really didn't want a Jeep (read: subpar Chrysler build quality) but I figured if I was going to buy one, why not get solid axles fr/rr and a bullet-proof 4.0 I6? Yeah the interior fit and finish (switches, plastics, etc.) looks/feels like crap, but it rides pretty well, has as a smooth & torquey 4.0 I6 under the hood and leaves me LOTS of potential for the inevitable off-road build up! (Long arms, 32-33" tires anyone?)

Anyway, as any thread is worthless without pics:

Attachments

• used-2004-jeep-grand_cherokee-basetrim-4318-4856258-4-640.jpg
    used-2004-jeep-grand_cherokee-basetrim-4318-4856258-4-640.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 1,130
  • used-2004-jeep-grand_cherokee-basetrim-4318-4856258-5-640.jpg
    used-2004-jeep-grand_cherokee-basetrim-4318-4856258-5-640.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 1,116
  • used-2004-jeep-grand_cherokee-basetrim-4318-4856258-26-640.jpg
    used-2004-jeep-grand_cherokee-basetrim-4318-4856258-26-640.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,093
  • used-2004-jeep-grand_cherokee-basetrim-4318-4856258-21-640.jpg
    used-2004-jeep-grand_cherokee-basetrim-4318-4856258-21-640.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,665

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like it might have a little potential, Hokiebert.

Where you working now?

Where you working now?

Working as an Application Engineer for Cummins in Houston, TX. I'll be here until the economy decides to quit sucking (or I say screw a career and move back to CO to be a ski-bum)

I dislike automatic Jeeps. I've driven 3 automatic Jeeps (about a week each) and they just have no balls.
But I'm talking the CJ YJ TJ style, etc.
My friend has a 87 YJ Manual, and I love it, lol. :p

Looks nice! I hope you have fun with your new toy! :)

I like the seats. Should look good with an off road bumper and some larger tires.

...Glad to see you still alive...:biggthump

Good to hear from you. If you hadn't noticed I'm not wheeling an Explorer anymore either (still DD one though). The Grand should treat you well.

WTH BRETT? You never told me you got rid of the Outback. Congrats! I like the new ride a lot better. I can already see the roof rack, 33"s, and tube bumpers.

nice jeep u plan on doing mods to it

WTH BRETT? You never told me you got rid of the Outback. Congrats! I like the new ride a lot better. I can already see the roof rack, 33"s, and tube bumpers.

Already been researching lift/tires... my dad's Murano has 1" taller tires than my GC for crying out loud! :rolleyes:

When these tires wear out I'll probably go with a 2.5-3" lift and 255/70R17's (31.1x10 tire)

Once I move back to CO I'll eventually work my way up to a 4.5" lift (maybe long arms) and 285/70R17's (but I'd probably need to regear to 4.10's for a 33" tire)

that jeep is purdy brett! so you are gonna move back to CO sometime? we never got to snowboard together when you lived here, boooo hoooo !

Back