Fire?

chriswells78

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Powell(Columbus), OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Limited
What would cause this to happen, I cant figure it out? A member of my local club just bought this X like a month ago and he finds the thing on fire last night. I don't think it's electrical because the worst burnt places are where there really are no electronics.

Pictures can be seen here. http://ohiocustomz.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1133#12410

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Me either.

same, can't see them either.

OK, I had to get home and download the pics to my home comp to upload them to EF. I totally think this was arson. Maybe I'm wrong.

The worst damage
t_dscn0205_179.jpg

Inside
t_dscn0210_150.jpg

t_dscn0203_376.jpg

t_dscn0202_226.jpg

t_dscn0206_830.jpg

t_dscn0195_167.jpg

t_dscn0197_132.jpg

t_dscn0201_116.jpg

Under the hood wasn't burnt at all
t_dscn0212_106.jpg

Did that year even come with automatic antenni?

I dunno what you mean by:

I don't think it's electrical because the worst burnt places are where there really are no electronics.

Under the dash, behind the kick panel on that side is the Explorers' ECM. Nowhere on the vehicle has MORE electronics, and wires than that one spot.

It looks as though it was an electrical fire, and spread down the passenger side from front to back.

I'd say it was a total loss, for daily driver duty. Part it out.

Ryan

Did it have an aftermarket stereo and amp in it? Although there are a lot of wires in that area, none carry enough power to start a fire unless several shorted at the same time or there was a higher guage wire (like for an aftermarket amp) that would carry enough power to start a fire. The other reason I suspect a high guage wire is that the fire also started in the rear. Again, the wires in the factory harness couldn't carry enough amperage that distance before they would melt, but if there was a higher guage wire routed to an amp, it could possibly carry the load.

Is the wiring in between the front and back damaged as well? If it was electrical there should be burnt/melted wiring all the way back. Probably not arson if thats the case.

Insurance??? Got any??

Aloha, Mark

I don't know, any more details, the owner hasn't posted since last week.

Back