catdaddy

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
new orleans,la
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt
hey guys,

after a complete engine rebuild got it started. no cel light but idle's not perfect. put on the code reader and got 172, 536, 538 on the KOER mode. also drove it a few blocks to get a wheel alignment and noticed that the tranny's not engaging in like 3rd and up. can give more info later, but any ideas? thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

follow up,

that rubber hose ( forget what its called ) came off the tranny.

drove it for 500 miles until the idle got rough and it stalled.

now the issue is that it idles roughly and wont accelerate only in drive, and will stall. checked and/changed the following: tps, maf, iac, fpr, checked for leaks. waiting on my guy to bring the fuel gauge tester. been looking thru lots of threads and have seen nothing similar. any ideas. any at all.

Did you resolve your 172 code?

172 Oxygen sensor not switching – system is or was lean – Single, Right or Rear HO2S – Fuel control

Did you remember to connect the O2 Sensor wire/s between the heads and the firewall? Maybe the wires got damaged installing the engine into the engine bay?

I've seen o2 sensor wires pinched between the bell housing. It's worth looking at.

the last time i checked the codes, KOER, still got the 172 and the 538 im pretty sure my timing was off hitting the accelerator. gonna check those wires shortly. think i'll order an 02 sensor, if its not the original its surely the second one.

536 and 538 are there because the test was not complete as you mentioned, doesn't indicate a problem. 172 needs to be fixed.

536 and 538 are there because the test was not complete as you mentioned, doesn't indicate a problem. 172 needs to be fixed.
Agreed. Make sure the wiring is in good shape and nothing is damaged. There is a lot of potential for error when you do a job as big as changing an engine.

tell me about it. new 02 sensor in and she wont even idle now. :mad:

That really sucks..

lil hiatus, this is what we got

getting 5.14 to supply, 0.014 to ground, 0.033 WOT.

tapping ground to neg. = 0.11

guess I'm just looking for a short ?

electricals' not my wheelhouse.

Did you ground the engine to the firewall? When I had to rewire mine due to an electrical fire it did that when I first started it, before I realized the ground strap between rear of engine and firewall was fried.

yeah, new braided straps when I installed. new battery cables.

Still trying to figure this out. No cel light, perfect idle and fuel pressure but still won't run in drive. All sensors and whatnot has been tested and or replaced. Pulled the cat, no problem there. So I guess I need to know what changes occur when shifting from park into drive that would be causing it to lose power and stall ? Lotta great minds in here, someone has have to seen this issue before. Last resort, I'm in Dallas TX, anyone got a running engine for sale ? :frown:

Still trying to figure this out. No cel light, perfect idle and fuel pressure but still won't run in drive. All sensors and whatnot has been tested and or replaced. Pulled the cat, no problem there. So I guess I need to know what changes occur when shifting from park into drive that would be causing it to lose power and stall ? Lotta great minds in here, someone has have to seen this issue before. Last resort, I'm in Dallas TX, anyone got a running engine for sale ? :frown:
Earlier in this thread, you mentioned the modulator tube being disconnected. Does the trans still shift through all gears? Im wondering if something is messed up in the trans, bogging the engine down? Did you have any trans issues prior to replacing the engine?

Earlier in this thread, you mentioned the modulator tube being disconnected. Does the trans still shift through all gears? Im wondering if something is messed up in the trans, bogging the engine down? Did you have any trans issues prior to replacing the engine?
it does shift thru all gears, I was also thinking the problem was in the tranny, but there was no prior issues.

Is fuse #18 ok?

Just a thought, if you had the engine out the MAF is sitting there exposed collecting dust. Spray clean the little teeny wires with contact cleaner or carb cleaner. A little bit of dust will mess you up.

Does the truck have a cam sensor? Cali emissions vehicles and all 94 engines had that and EGR. Could it be out of time? I almost wonder if you have a mechanical timing issue that the computer can compensate for at idle, but as soon as the engine is loaded might fall on it's face? Im thinking outside the box here. Especially on a project like this where the engine was completely disassembled.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back