First time driving an explorer, have some questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

First time driving an explorer, have some questions

Ncc74656

Reaction score
City, State
Duluth
Year, Model & Trim Level
14 explorer
2014 Explorer, it's 0 to 60 is around 17 seconds. When I floor it oh, it lugs and takes quite a while to get to even 20 miles an hour, after that it does pick up but not very quickly. It is the 4 L turbo charged.

When getting into the vehicle, the radio will randomly turn on with ignition. It will be off when I leave the vehicle but when I get back in it and turn it on, the radio is blasting. Very annoying,

When going up the hills here, I seem to cap out at around 35 miles an hour even with my foot to the floor. We have extremely steep hills but this seems like something is off

What have you guys done to deal with the blind spots on this vehicle? It is impossible to see who is behind me or to the sides when backing up, the b-pillars and c-pillars block nearly three-quarters of my view

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They didn't make a 4 L turbo. I assume you have the 2.3L ecoboost?

Mine goes 0 to 60 much faster than a lot of new SUVs with the tuned 3.5 Ecoboost and has blind spot monitoring.

Yeah I meant to say four-cylinder not l

that seems too slow. something is wrong, any codes you see? even my 24 year old X does 0-60 faster than that!

- Your turbo is most likely dead/blown.
- Try a master reset on the radio sync system or replace the car battery.
- Backup camera

Can you clarify what you mean by 'first time driving an Explorer'?
Is this a vehicle you are test driving looking to purchase?
If so, move on to something else. Sounds like too many issues.

I agree it sounds like it's down on boost, but usually you will get a check engine light and code for under boost.
Could possibly be the throttle body not responding (not opening all the way).

For blind spots, as stated, backup camera and possibly those little convex stick on mirrors for the sides. They won't help much with visibility directly behind the vehicle though.

Stop driving it before you ruin very expensive parts like your catalytic converters. It’s obviously broken.

Back