Back to driving an Explorer - 2016 PI Utility Ecoboost | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Back to driving an Explorer - 2016 PI Utility Ecoboost

ResponderPSE

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 PI Utility
It's been quite a while since I've been behind the wheel of and Explorer. I just took delivery of my new 2016 PI Utility with Ecoboost last week. I had been driving a Tahoe for the last couple of years and did not think I would like the Expy nearly as much. Well, much to my surprise, I'm totally in love with this new Expy. It's more than amazing. The look, feel, ride and overall package is just amazing. The power this has is phenomenal. This is just an amazing vehicle. I'm looking forward to getting it outfitted with all of our demo gear.

11659502_998632476822264_4050886499010397552_n.jpg

11665426_998632480155597_8244488832805420911_n.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice! Post pics when it's all said and done.

I think somebody is a rep for Code 3 lighting?

Sweet!

so what exactly is different?

Nice OP! Did Ford up the horse power/torque on this PI model or is it still the same as our Sports? Not many in reality are going to be able to get away from you when you pull in behind them...

What company do you rep for? I do installs for the Whelen's rep here in chicago.

I think somebody is a rep for Code 3 lighting?

Actually, no. We don't sell Code 3 because it's made in China. It's only assembled here in St. Louis. We rep Whelen, Feniex, Carson, D&R, Brooking, ECCO and many others.

my main question is why do you call it an "EXPY?" never ever heard of someone calling the explorer that... usually its exploder or X but to each their own.

Actually, no. We don't sell Code 3 because it's made in China. It's only assembled here in St. Louis. We rep Whelen, Feniex, Carson, D&R, Brooking, ECCO and many others.

I was told ALL LED's are made in China.

Are some made in North America?

Its what each lighting manufacturer does with those LED's that differentiates them from their competitor.

No?

Its what each lighting manufacturer does with those LED's that differentiates them from their competitor.

No?

You're right. Many of the LEDs are produced in China and many manufacturers just put their own system together in the U.S. with those LEDs. I doubt there are any LED manufacturing in the U.S.

my main question is why do you call it an "EXPY?" never ever heard of someone calling the explorer that... usually its exploder or X but to each their own.
Just did a search on 'Expy' and pulled up 22 threads with the word in it.

Peter

It's just the shorthand I use to refer to the Explorer. Not sure where I picked it up.

No?

Actually, there are several manufactures that produce LEDs here in the USA. As for my reference regarding code3 and china, I was referring to the fact that EVERYTHING from code3 is made in china. The lights, housings, electronics, everything. I would not be surprised, based on the look of their products, that the engineering is done over there as well. Our company was contacted a couple of years ago by the chineese company that builds the code3 products, asking if we wanted to import their stuff. We flatly refused.

We tried Whelen lighting installed by TDM at the Chicago Mod Center, the lights were fine (EXCEPT their park/turn/warn bulbs) but their siren/light controllers are cheap and we ended up replacing them every year. The slide switch constantly breaks or becomes loose in the housing and falls apart.

SoundOff seems to be the most popular in my area now, we have had no issues with any of their products.

I know TDM/Ford is getting customer heat for only offering Whelen, they are looking to add SoundOff, FedSig, and Code3 this year due to customer pressure.

to re-repeat

what exactly is different in the interceptor mod?

There are several differences. The interior is substantially different. It's more utilitarian. The power under the hood with the Ecoboost is also much higher. It has a heavier duty suspension and it has the gearshift on the steering column so that a full console can be installed between the seats. If you visit the ford fleet website, you'll see all of the differences. http://www.ford.com/fordpoliceinterceptor/

Unless the real power is more, they state the same HP ...

"The bad guys can run from the Ford Police Interceptor. They won't get far, thanks to the available 365-horsepower 3.5L EcoBoost® engine, police-calibrated powertrain and police-tuned suspension paired with all-wheel drive – designed specifically for pursuit driving."

"The 3.7L V6 is standard on the sedan (305hp) and utility (304hp) models. Both naturally aspirated engines deliver 279 lb.-ft. of torque and feature Ti-VCT (twin independent variable camshaft timing). They also offer the flexibility of operating on E85 fuel"

Wonder if this fits the non-LEO EX?
http://www.ford.com/fordpoliceinterceptor/features/#/durability/durability_05/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

but their siren/light controllers are cheap and we ended up replacing them every year.

I need to chat with you. My box isnt connecting with the software anymore and the siren has shut off on me after running for a few minutes, dealership says they cant help.

Back