First time waxer with orbiter | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

First time waxer with orbiter

Hey guys

I just purchased a buffer from a garage sale and I plan to use on my own as well as family vehicles. As I am new to the waxing game I decided to ask first before I start. What waxes work well with a metalic paint job? What are the best steps to take in prep? What tips and tricks do you have? I currently use a falcon wash and wax car soap to clean the car. Keep in mind this isn't a show car just want to make my own car look a little bit better. Thanks for the help.

Scott aka trailblazer295 (using dads ID)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Already tried that... actually, I wetsanded with 1500 grit first, then moved to 2000, then used Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound, then Turtle Wax Polishing Compound, and then Meguiar's PlastX. The outside is super smooth now, but the inside has a lot of pitting. Of course, I could toss them in the oven and clean the inside, but if you'll notice, the lights don't even match. The passenger side is from an '01-'04 (black chrome), the driver side is from a '99-'00 (bright chrome). I'd rather just buy a nice new set and not have to worry about it, lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Already tried that... actually, I wetsanded with 1500 grit first, then moved to 2000, then used Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound, then Turtle Wax Polishing Compound, and then Meguiar's PlastX. The outside is super smooth now, but the inside has a lot of pitting. Of course, I could toss them in the oven and clean the inside, but if you'll notice, the lights don't even match. The passenger side is from an '01-'04 (black chrome), the driver side is from a '99-'00 (bright chrome). I'd rather just buy a nice new set and not have to worry about it, lol.

ah. Yeah, i know what that's like. My Grand Am did that too. It oxidized on the inside so I had to get a new pair. It really affects lighting!

Here is my X after my wax job, Comments suggestions for next time welcome. I went with wash, clay, mothers pre wax cleaner then Turtle wax hard shell wax 2 coats on front. I plan do wax it again in the fall before winter. I've now been recruited to wax triplecc's grand cherokee.

IMG_1348web-1.jpg

IMG_1349.jpg

the pics look good. to see how well the wax is holding up, spray the car with a mist of water and watch for beading. Spray a fender and see if the water just falls right off.

Lucky me it rained today, first day out of the garage and it rains; go figure. Most of the water doesn't stay on the sides, just small beads and large beads on the hood.

did you check to see how easy it is to dry? much nicer ;)

You don't really want beads- you want water that sheets off... ;)

You might also check out the meguiars forum- all of their factory techs are members, (very active ones too) and they give out a LOT of advice, product info, and invaluable information...

Ex looks great!

You don't really want beads- you want water that sheets off... ;)

You might also check out the meguiars forum- all of their factory techs are members, (very active ones too) and they give out a LOT of advice, product info, and invaluable information...

Ex looks great!

Indeed, but you gotta take baby steps :) I post on MOL as well. Mike Phillips is ALWAYS on!

Oh yeah- Mike is a Carnauba genius... :D

Truck looks great .... I finally got around to detailing and doing some paint correction on the new X Sport ... She was trashed

I posted up a new thread about the process and products ... http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246956

Here are a Few teaser before pics .... see the other thread for more pics and the AFTER's

XSportDetail0013.jpg

XSportDetail0011.jpg

XSportDetail0017.jpg

Thanks for the responses. This may be a dumb question but does wax in a bottle have a shelf life? The turle wax I used was opened and sitting in the garage for years.

nole I just clicked on your other thread really nice transformation. I don't think I'm at the wet sanding etc level. I have swirl marks on my hood for the most part but for now it will have to do.

Thanks for the responses. This may be a dumb question but does wax in a bottle have a shelf life? The turle wax I used was opened and sitting in the garage for years.

nole I just clicked on your other thread really nice transformation. I don't think I'm at the wet sanding etc level. I have swirl marks on my hood for the most part but for now it will have to do.

I think some might break down after time. Just see how long it holds up. If it doesn't get something else.

Back