Fixed my reverse parking sensor system | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fixed my reverse parking sensor system

Just wanted to update the forum... I had bought 4 of the parking sensors off Ebay for a total of about $36, and just got around to installing them yesterday. I used Gsmaclean's writeup as a guide, and everything worked perfectly. I replaced all four, even though I only had 2 that were probably bad. Keeping the others as spares.

Once installed, everything worked great! I would like to add that when you remove the bumper cover, you have to lift each side straight up first, and then pull back. The bumper cover is sort of resting on plastic hooks (2 on each side).

This job also gave me a chance to play with my new OTC Nemisys scantool. The Nemisys is capable of reading abs, airbag, transmission, and body control module stuff, in addition to the usual engine pcm stuff. I found a killer deal on this scanner new for around 500 bones, and it was well worth upgrading to this one over a cheaper obd2 only scanner.

The codes my truck had were C1710, C1704, C1703, C1701, and C1700. That boils down to sensor codes for the RR center, RR and LR, and sensor circuit codes for the RR and LR. Apparently if the sensors are bad enough, they show up as an open circuit.

Overall, I think that failures of this system boil down to either a bad sensor or sensors, or a bad parking aid module. I would imagine that without having access to the computer codes, a good safe shot in the dark would be to buy all 4 sensors off Ebay and replace them all. Worked great for me!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone know if there is a way to add reverse sensor to a vehicle?
I have a 04 limited that doesnt have reverse sensor-funny has every other possible option
thanks,
Harry

That's pretty strange for a limited to not have it. On my 03 EB, it has a button just left of the steering column. I think it just has an OFF label. The light stayed on all the time (in the button) until I recently fixed it.

To answer your question, they have aftermarket backup sensors, or even backup cameras, that you can add. Check Ebay or your local stereo shops.

Worked for me

I purchased the sensors off E-Bay ($7.99 ea + shipping) and installed using gsmaclean's instructions. I had given up fixing this until I found this thread. Spent about an hour on this and they work as new. Very happy to have this fixed for less than $40 (especially with my son starting to drive this year).

Thanks for the instructions and supplier info.

Is this the same gsmaclean from Steve Saunder's Goldwing site? I lurk over there also.

I purchased the sensors off E-Bay ($7.99 ea + shipping) and installed using gsmaclean's instructions. I had given up fixing this until I found this thread. Spent about an hour on this and they work as new. Very happy to have this fixed for less than $40 (especially with my son starting to drive this year).

Thanks for the instructions and supplier info.

Is this the same gsmaclean from Steve Saunder's Goldwing site? I lurk over there also.

Yup, that's me! :)

Can somebody post the ebay user name? I checked ebay and cannot find the sensors. Probably my luck and he is out of them. I need some and not too interested in paying $80+ each!

Help!

Can somebody post the ebay user name? I checked ebay and cannot find the sensors. Probably my luck and he is out of them. I need some and not too interested in paying $80+ each!

Help!

I don't see them either. I bought 4 from him a year ago. Seemed like a surplus type of seller so his supply Im sure was not infinite.

I don't see them either. I bought 4 from him a year ago. Seemed like a surplus type of seller so his supply Im sure was not infinite.

sherrodsurplus. Here you go, he's still got some for sale.

sherrodsurplus. Here you go, he's still got some for sale.

Looks like only one left on that auction
hopefully he'll post more. the 4 I bought were for my father and I was kicking myself I didnt get 4 for me for any future problems. I'll keep watching him too

Did yours have the 4F23 part number on the sensors and a the 3F2Z on the box? Hopefully they will work for me.

Great post gsmaclean! It was very informative...thank you very much!!

I am not sure if that particular seller still sells that same sensor item on eBay anymore, because I have searched 'high & low' on eBay with every keyword for that same deal and the lowest deals I seem to be able to find for a reverse sensor is between $36-$40 + If you have ANY suggestions as to what keywords (or exact phrases) you typed into eBay for your search, any help would be much appreciated!! As per your instructions my husband just finished taking apart our explorer back end to check out the reverse sensors (took about 1.5 hours) and everything seems fine, except for the obvious issues. He made sure everything was clean, in place, straightened etc...and still no sensors beeping and the light continues to come on, so it looks like we will definitely have to replace at least one of them, I just wish there was a sure fire way to find out which one was the faulty sensor. Purchasing the parts and replacing them yourself is definitely a better alternative than going to the FORD dealership and having them take everything but my first born, so that is a definite plus! Often times the FORD dealerships are a rip off and I have had more than my fair share of horror stories about how horrible their mechanics have messed things up!

If anyone may have any leads on great deals ANYWHERE (or the seller on eBay) for this Canadian Chick who is sad her Explorer has some issues, the help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks again for the greatly informative post gsmaclean!!

P.S. If anyone may have any extra new sensors that they purchased from this surplus seller and may want to part with because they no longer need them, I would be more than happy to buy them off you and can pay you via PayPal. Looking forward to a response, thanks again!!

Here's the title of the Ebay auction I got mine from:

Ford Ultrasonic Backup/Parking Sensors, 3F2Z-15K859-BA

You can indeed see which sensors are bad. You will need a scantool with enhanced domestic software. I used my OTC Nemisys. "Enhanced" means that you get the factory data in the scantool, not just the Generic OBD2 data. You also need to be sure the scantool hooks up to all body control modules, not just to engine/powertrain like most cheap ones do. The Nemisys is the cheapest scantool I've found that comes with enhanced domestic and the ability to do all 9 modes of OBD2 and communicate with ALL vehicle modules. Great cheaper scan tool, at around 500 bucks from usatoolwarehouse.com. They're around 600 - 900 everywhere else!

They were 7.99 each for the sensors. At that price, I bought all 4 and didn't worry about it. Worked like a champ.

Here's the title of the Ebay auction I got mine from:

Ford Ultrasonic Backup/Parking Sensors, 3F2Z-15K859-BA

You can indeed see which sensors are bad. You will need a scantool with enhanced domestic software. I used my OTC Nemisys. "Enhanced" means that you get the factory data in the scantool, not just the Generic OBD2 data. You also need to be sure the scantool hooks up to all body control modules, not just to engine/powertrain like most cheap ones do. The Nemisys is the cheapest scantool I've found that comes with enhanced domestic and the ability to do all 9 modes of OBD2 and communicate with ALL vehicle modules. Great cheaper scan tool, at around 500 bucks from usatoolwarehouse.com. They're around 600 - 900 everywhere else!

They were 7.99 each for the sensors. At that price, I bought all 4 and didn't worry about it. Worked like a champ.

Thanks for the reply, but I am almost certain that eBay deal is no longer available (as I checked numerous times) and the next best price for the sensors is actually around $36. While much better than $100 a piece through FORD, it is not as amazing as your spectacular deal @ $8 per sensor. I will continue looking, but if anyone else has more suggestions - they would be much appreciated. I think a much easier and cheaper way to check for the faulty sensor is to take all 4 sensors out one at a time and see when it works, instead of spending at least $500 on a scanner tool that I will only use, hopefully once, in the near future.

I will definitely check out the information on your eBay listing, and hopefully something comes from it. Thanks for the info and wish me luck!

Thanks again for the message and if you have any more suggestions, that would be great! Cheers!

If you take them out one at a time, Im pretty sure the system will just stay in fail mode. Now if you bought one new sensor, and tried it one at a time, you might get lucky. In my case, I had 2 factory sensors showing up with problems on the scan tool. So 2 bad sensors. Therefore swapping one at a time just wouldn't have cut it.

I'm not suggesting you buy a 500 scan tool just for this. But if you love working on cars, you won't regret having one of these puppies around. Without one, you're down to taking the car to a mechanic for every single thing that's computer-related.

You might find a mechanic or friend to scan it for you though, and tell you which sensor is bad.

nuts they were there 6 months ago, i knew i should have bought them then.
Cheapest is $25, i think after some of the posters above bought them, i think the guy realized what he had and upped the price. . lol. . :shifty_ey

I'm actually working on adding the parking assist after the fact so i would need 4. I got everything but the bumper, plan on checking JY this fall, spring they where cleaned out.

On a side note you don't even need a 500 scan tool, if you have a spare laptop you can buy software for it for like $220, which will read all Ford Codes, ABS, ETAC, etc. Very worth it so far. Helped me fix the ABS system.

that was not bad till it lasted... there are now $40.00 each on ebay. Well...

to update an old post. Wife got rear ended insurance picked up the tab actually found a JY one off a limited and white with sensors, cable for $150. Since insurance was going to pay for paint anyways. . .came out well.

Nice spam post, Tniery. Moderators?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The reverse parking sensors on my 2003 Limited did not work. Just like most of the people here who are complaining about the sensors not working, it would switch off as soon as you shift to reverse. In Park, you could press the sensor disable switch and turn the light off, but as soon as you shifted to Reverse, the disable light would come back on and the sensor system would shut off.

From doing some research, I found out that this is the way that the Explorer reports "hey, one of the sensors has failed."

While Ford wanted over $100 apiece for them, and other online vendors sold them for $60 each, I found a guy selling surplus sensors on eBay for $8 each. Not knowing which/how many of my sensors were bad, I decided to buy four of them - with shipping around $36.

I got the sensors quickly, and put them in yesterday. Once I got everything back together, everything worked perfectly! I'm very pleased!

Here's a guide as to how I did mine.

Open the rear liftgate and remove the four philips screws on each side holding the rear taillights in place. Gently pull each taillight to the rear until it releases. Remove the lightbulb assemblies from the lens (rotate counter clockwise). Set the lenses aside.

On each side in the area just above the bumper cover exposed by the removed lenses, you will see two screws with hex heads (you will need a socket to remove them). One of the screws is horizontal (head facing straight up), and the other one is screwed into an angular bracket (facing up and to the front). You need to remove only the angular one - the horizontal one fastens a bracket to the bumper cover and should remain fastened. You may want to hit the screws with some PB Blaster first to loosen them up.

Underneath the bumper cover, on each side (on the sides, near the lower front of the bumper cover), are two more screws, one on each side. You will have to lay under the back of the truck to see them. Remove these screws - use PB Blaster on these as well.

Along the top of the bumper cover are a series of plastic pins. All of these have to be removed. If you don't have a pin tool, you can gently use two flat-blade screwdrivers. Slip the screwdrivers into the small slot on each pin, and use them to gently work the center locking pin out about 1/4". You may want to just start it with the screwdrivers and pull it out with your fingers. Once it's pulled out, the rest of the pin can be removed from the bumper cover. It's OK if the locking pin comes all the way out - just remove the rest of the pin, then fit the locking pin back into the main pin body.

Get something soft - a large blanket, sleeping bag, etc. and lay it on the ground under the rear bumper. This is what the bumper cover will rest on, so you don't scratch the paint on it.

Starting on the driver's side, pull the bumper cover up and to the rear until it disengages from the pin lock. Repeat on the passenger side. Gently remove the bumper cover. It will be fastened to the truck on the passenger side by a wiring harness. You can leave this wiring harness connected. Lay the bumper cover on the ground, with the paint side facing down.

The wiring harness is fastened to the EPS (styrofoam) on the passenger side. Gently pull out the pin holding the harness to the styrofoam to free the wires.

Using a deep 1/2" socket, remove the three large flat steel nuts on the plastic bolts that hold the styrofoam in place. Gently remove the styrofoam from the inside of the bumper cover. You will now be looking at the back of the parking sensors.

Very very gently, on the inside of the bumper cover, lift the two tabs on the side of each sensor, then push the sensor through from the outside (paint side) of the bumper. Press down on the end of the connector lock and gently pull the sensor off of the connector. Push the new sensor onto the connector until it locks into place. Push the sensor back into the hole in the bumper until it locks into place. Repeat for each sensor.

Replace the styrofoam, ensuring the plastic bolts go up through the holes, and the plastic tabs on the inside of the bumper cover hold everything in the correct position. Make sure the wiring harness is routed correctly. Reinstall the flat steel nuts onto the plastic nuts. Reinsert the plastic wiring harness plug into the styrofoam.

Gently lift the bumper cover back onto the bumper and position it into place. On the lower front sides of the bumper cover, you will see plastic tabs that fit into holes on the bodywork. Ensure the tabs fit into the holes correctly. Push the bumper cover until it seats properly. Reinstall the two top screws to hold it in place, then reinstall the bottom screws.

Reinstall each plastic pin - with the center locking pin still extended, push the main part of the pin into each hole until it is snug against the bumper cover, then push the locking pin in to lock it into place.

Take each taillight lens and reinstall the light bulb assemblies. Make sure you put the right bulb in the right hole! Turn clockwise to lock into place. Replace each lens in place. Make sure the metal screw fits into the locking tab, and that the plastic tabs fit into their respective holes. Once you've got it lined up, give the lens a good push to lock it into place. Replace the two philips screws to fasten it into place. Repeat with the other lens.

You're done! Enjoy your functioning parking sensor! The whole process took me about an hour to do, and that's with never seeing the assembly before, or having any idea of how to get the bumper cover off.

Can you find the same sensor for my as you bought. I can´t fint it on e-bay. I have 2004 explorer v8 with same problem..
Thanks a lot for this :)

Back