• Register Today It's free!

Flickering lights solved!!!

John G

Reaction score
City, State
Milford, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Eddie Bauer
I finally fixed the problem causing my flickering lights on my 93 EB. I went to Autozone and even though their machine showed my alternator was good I bought a remanufactured one anyway. I installed it and it was charging fine and the flickering stopped. THEN, on Saturday night I noticed my voltmeter showing a discharge and my lights growing dim. I brought it back to Autozone and they checked it and first said my battery was no good. After some discussion in the parking lot they agreed that the alternator wasn't putting out any amps. I also checked it in front of them with my fluke meter. My battery was now dead and they jumped me in the parking lot. I limped the truck home and removed the defective alternator and brought it back. Of course they did not have the replacement in stock and I had to borrow a car and drive to another town to swap it out (they were very helpful for that). After swapping it out I charged the battery and started it up. It was now showing a charge of around 14.5 volts constant at the battery terminals and the voltmeter needle is pointing near the "M" in NORMAL which is around 5:00 or approx 14volts I would guess. I took my kids to get a christmas tree and the truck wouldn't restart in the parking lot. I got a jump from an helpful person and made it home. Now obviously my battery was dead. Most likely the drain from the bad alternator caused it to die. It was so drained that by the time I got home my indicators woudn't work and my ABS light came on. It was pretty darn old (around 5 years) anyway. After replacing the battery now everything seems fine. Here is one question though: When I shut the truck off the voltmeter needle pins sharply all the way to the left. I think that it always did it but I just want to make sure that it is normal. Thanks for all the help on diagnosing my problem and helping me fix it!!!

Yeah when you shut it off the volt meter should drop. Glad to hear it is solved.

Re: Flickering lights solved

I had a similar problem with my 91 EB. Mine started with a jumping voltmeter and the flickering lights. Since I am stationed in the UK at present, I had to have my alternator rebuilt. Works like a charm now. Your voltmeter is reading pretty much normal now with the needle being near the "M" on normal and yes, it does peg to the right when you shut it off. Glad your problem was solved. I couldn't get over the jumping voltmeter but when I started mine and then it died and wouldn't restart and the voltmeter was laying almost to the last line to the left, I knew I was in trouble. Luckily, i was sitting in the driveway. GOOD LUCK!!!:D

Re: Flickering Lights Solved

Sorry, I meant pegged to the left when you shut it off. Ooops!!!:eek:

Back