• Register Today It's free!

Flowmaster 50 SUV Series

TJM623

Reaction score
City, State
Strongsville, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
I ordered one off summit racing for 112$, i got this so I don't have to get custom fabbed y pipe which was putting the cost for installation at 200+$ around me, my question is...it's got a 3 inch outlet, is that TO big? is there a way to have them bring it down to like 2.5 when they put a new pipe in? let me know...i can't wait to get htis installed next week!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2.25" is your stock pipe -- they may be able to adapt something to work, but You'll have to see what they can do.

-Drew

If you have a 5.0, the 3" will probably work. You might get a lot of drone, but it would work. If you've got either of the 4.0 engines, a 3" pipe is too big and you'd lose low end torque.

I have a Flowmaster 50 series "Big Block" muffler with a 2.5" tailpipe on my 5.0 and I love it. Not too loud on the highway, but roars when I step on it.

I'm considering getting a 50 series, but I'm afraid it may be too loud in the cab. Is it really loud inside?

Otherwise, I'm gettinga QTEC dump

I have a 50 Series on my '00 Sport. I've heard that the sound of custom exhaust in a 2 door is a bit different than in the 4 door given the shorter dimensions of the Sport. I did NOT like the drone in my Ex and eventually tamed it by installing an aftermarket resonator. All's well now. Others have no complaints about the drone. Obviously it's personal preference.

i have the 4.0 SOHC, so 3 in. is to big? That's the only muffler I saw that flowmaster makes dual inlet single outlet, which I would need as i said before the Y-pipe fab. would have made it not worth it to get anything else.

A good muffler shop can make anything work.

3" seems like overkill and would probably sound even louder. According to Flowmaster, 2.5" is ideal for SOHC and 2.25" is ideal for OHV (at least when talking about HP). People have done the opposite with good results.

I had the 50 installed on my sohc, using the stock tailpipe and resonator. They had to use an adaptor to get the 3in outlet to match up with the 2.25 in tailpipe, but I am very happy with the outcome.

yea this is what they did for mine too rhyno, I'm pleased with the interior sound, i wish it was a little louder on start up and idle however, I think once my tail pipe starts to rust up a little more (i'm in ohio after all...) I'm gonna get a 2.5", but i do love the sound when i get to about 2500-3000 rpm. How much was yours installed? I got my muffler for 112$ and then 124$ for installation, i thought it was fair, another shop wanted 350!

Back