..:: Flowmaster Delta 40 installed.. Pics & Sound Clip ::.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

..:: Flowmaster Delta 40 installed.. Pics & Sound Clip ::..

AnabolicFrolic

Reaction score
City, State
Bend, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 XLT
Ok guys! I finally got a custom cat-back exhaust installed on my 2001 XLT SOHC 4.0. Oh man first let me say.. what a difference. I can definatly feel an increase in off the line pick up and most of all the throttle response. I hope to also get better MPG as well.

Basically i had a cat-back custom made at the local performance custom exhaust shop. They reccomended 2 1/2 piping.. as well as did most people on this forum. So thats what i went with. So its got 2.5" piping all mandrel bent.. everything is welded and the welds look good (im not weld expert though) I went with a flowmaster Delta 40 2.5 single in/out. I had them make it exit from the side behind the passenger rear tire. They welded on a nice chrome tip as well. A little big i think.. but all my friends that have seen it say it looks killer.
They also removed the resonators but allowed room for them to be re-installed if i find this setup too loud.

SO how does it sound you ask?? Bad ass!. At idle its got a very deep rumble to it. Not obnoxious. when i get on the gas it sounds full and powerfull. very throaty for sure. its not bumblebee-ish at all. Im very happy with the sound.. and most of all the great throttle response it gave me. Inside the cabin its mellow at cruising speeds.. 45 and up.. When i get on the gas from the start the sound is noticeable but not obnoxious. And when i slam the gass for passing etc u can hear it in the cabin a good bit. Otherwise when driving at highway speeds its not a whole lot louder than stock.. so i dont think it will get annoying on long trips. i can always turn on the radio if it does though.

**SOUND CLIP**
yeah yeah ok ok im sure u want the sound clip!
so here it is:
http://cumebunny.homestead.com/files/flowmaster_Delta40_on_SOHC.mp3
**PICS**
Showing the side exit
sideexit.jpg

Closeup of tip:
tip.JPG

Muffler:
delta40muffler.JPG

Everything welded up nice
welded.JPG

For those dont wanna read this whole post! here are some quick specs :)
**QUICK SPECS**
-Custom Cat-back
-all 2.5" pipe
-Flowmaster Delta 40 single in/out 2.5"
-Mandrel bent
-Side exit w/ chrome tip
-Installed on SOHC 4.0L -- 2001 XLT

Hope my writeup- with soundclip and pics is informative and helps u make a decision in an exhaust purchase!

--Bill--

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Awesome

That sounds great!:D They do great work looks very clean.

Sounds very nice...that is what I'm gonna look at getting. You mind if I ask how much it ended up costing you?

Sounds very much like stock when at idle. I thought it would be alot louder but you can hear the rumble. I like it. Good choice. BTW thanks for the sound clip. Now I can finally get the exhaust. Without worry about it sounding like a ricer.

Looks like a great install. Would be interesting to me at least if you would post again after some miles go by to tell us how it is working out for you.

Looks good, that is similar to what I have. I went with a 50 series thinking a 40 would be too loud. I wish I had got a 40. Mine has a side exit w/ a tip also. Nice sound clip...nice touch.

Does anyone have this setup on an OHV??? Can anyone confirm that it sounds the same??

the idle

The idle is really not captured well at all in that clip. If i placed the mic too close the low rumble was making the sound quality horrible so i had to movie it a good distance aways for it to work. Im gonna try and get a better sound file.. one more accurate to the actual sound at idle.
It cost me about 300 total.. parts & labor. i think they got me hard on the cost of the muffler itself. im sure i paid almost full retail for that sucker.. This shop was referred to me by several people here.. so i figured if everybody else was more than satisified with the service.. i would be too. and i am.
Ill let u know with an update how everything is later on too.
I plan to try to get a better clip @ idle too

install looks good to me. the chrome tip looks great also.

i have a 40 series dual outlet setup. i listen to the sound clip when i get home to see if it sounds close to what mine sounds like.

Yeah man that looks phat as hell... How much did it cost you?

i listened to the soundclip and it sounds a little like mine does. yours sounds better though.

I have a 1994 X and I am interested in changing the exhuast to a 40 series delta with a single inlet/dual outlet and a new cat. Would the flowmaster 40 series delta sound the same on a 4.0L OHV as it does on the 4.0L SOHC? Also, those of you who have dual exhaust on a 91-94 X, how was the piping run?

That's awesome. Thanks a lot of a good sound clip, i want to put a 40 series on mine but I was worried about the sound on a 4.0 SOHC. I am definitely going with a 40 series but now I need to figure out the sizes of the inlet and outlet. I am going to do dual exhaust. What do you guys think? I would rather the non DeltaFlow. the only option that leaves me with is the 3" single inlet and 2.5" dual outlet. Think I am going to have enough back pressure or should I just get the DF with the 2.5" single inlet and 2.5" dual outlet. I want then 2.5" outlets b/c I am going to put one 3" tips. Also arre those stainless pipes?? I wanted to do that but it is so damn expensive. That way I put it on once and pretty much never have to worry about the pipes rusting out. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
Gary

hey

Hey AnabolicFrolic wuts up. The exhaust you have is what Ive been looking for forever it seems. The sound is exactly what I want too. Do you happen to have any plans or something that I could take to my local custom muffler shop so that they could do the same exact thing on my 2001 Explorer Sport 4.0 SOHC. I would really appreciate it if you could do that for me. Thanks. Also my screen name on AOL Instant Messenger is Sublime51386

OK i never did my exhaust last summer b/c of a bunch of crap. Anyway, the 2001 SOHCs must not have dual inlets. my 1998 does have dual into the muffler. What do you all think about running a Y-pipe off the cats. They dont make a 40 Delta with dual inlets. Is a Y-pipe ok?
thanx
Gary

wow that sounds great. hows the resonation in the cab? i also have not got one thinking it would sound ricey but i think you just made flowmasters business go thru the roof.

Back from the dead :)

This thread is like a year old hehe. well its back. heh

ExplorerSport01: Your local custom exhaust shop shouldnt need any plans. All u should need to tell em is that u want a cat-back exhaust w. a flowmaster delta 40 muffler with 2.5" in pipe. Then ya tell em how u want it to exit - like mine is a angle cut side-swept exit.. but u could go with a rear exit if u want as well.

RX4Phun: Are u sure they dont make a dual inlet? cuz im pretty sure they do. if not yah just run a Y-pipe it should be fine.

Redrig- thanks im glad you like the sound of it- and yep id definatly doesnt sound too ricey even tho its on the SOHC motor.

A y-pipe will work fine. That's what I have. I talked to a bunch of places, and they told me the dual-in would be twice as much as the single-in, so they just made a y-pipe. I have the magnaflow, 2.5" pipe, and resonator, and it sounds like rice. It is almost as loud inside as it is outside. In the next week or so I will be putting on a flowmaster 50 series delta. I think I may go down to 2.25" pipe also, since there was a noticable loss of torque.

Originally posted by Lifted95X
Does anyone have this setup on an OHV??? Can anyone confirm that it sounds the same??

I have this exact setup except I have 2.25 pipe. It sounds almost identical to AnabolicFrolic's.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nice sound, I got a meineke turbo muffler on my 92 explorer. If i can get a sound clip of it I will post it.

Back