• Register Today It's free!

fluid leak pulling trailer

scottamphi

Reaction score
City, State
Reidsville NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
90 Ranger XLT
I have a 90 ranger 2 wheel drive with a 92 explorer 4.0 and A4LD. Drives and shifts fine. I pulled a trailer and load (4000#) about 15 miles in small town and trans. fluid started pooring out of the front trans. seal. I have since driven about 2 months no load no problem. Fluid is not burnt and nothing in the the trans. pan now or when I pulled it from the explorer. I am ready to tackel this myself, Can anyone please advise me what might cause this. I have a new radiator for the 4.0 and the same auxilary trans. cooler set up as when it had the 2.9. The trans. behind the 2.9 had pulled this much many miles but I am told it won't take the 4.0 torque.
Scott W.

Is the A4LD out of the ex too? If so, you should be able to pull more than you did with your 2.9, and pull it easier too. You may have a clog in the cooler lines. I'd pressure wash everything and check to see if you have any leaks first. Might have just got too hot once, and OK now but I'm guessing NOT.

The front seal normally does not have any pressure on it. There is a weap hole that drains back any fluid to the pan there. When the pump bushing starts to wear it leaks more especially under load. That weap hole is being overloaded and fluid is being pushed past the front seal. Many people who rebuild trans will drill out this hole larger to accomodate a worn bushing. Your tranny is getting old. It can go along time with gentle use. If you loose too much fluid it will certainly be killed.

The trans. is from the explorer, I will try to blow out the lines Thank's Verno. I didn't know that there is no oil against the seal as explained by Opera House. I don't think it needs a complete overhall since it is fine under no load conditions. I was wondering if the pump may be bad. I have a ATSG service manual ordered to help me if it leaks when I try a load agean.
Thanks!

Back