A unique first gen..

92exp4x4

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Covington, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XL 2-door and others
Just poking around the internet tonight and stumbled across something some of you may have an interest in. It is listed on autoblog.com for sale in Georgia. This 94 appears to be a custom conversion and 1 of 21 with this special paint code from Ford. Check it out here: 1994 Ford Explorer XLT for sale in Canton, GA. Seems very reminiscent of an old LTD we all should know about! Anyone can do a custom paint job, but to have this be a factory paint job on a special order is cool. The color is inside the doors and under the hood. I'm sure the graphics are not factory applied, but I'm betting it was planned for this outcome.

For those with an extra $10K burning a hole in your pocket, this might be the next machine in your future!

I like stuff that is unusual, and this one is about as unusual as the first gen hearse I found a number of years ago. If I find the pic I'll post it here. Perhaps this could become be an unusual first gen registry?

Some pics:

Cherokee Explorer2.jpg

Cherokee Explorer3.jpg

Cherokee Explorer5.jpg

Cherokee Explorer.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

"You think you hate it now - just wait till you drive it!"
It's pretty unusual for sure. I'm wondering how that right rear door closes with no bushing on the striker. What's this about a first gen hearse?

that thing was on ebay last week for like 8k as a vista cruiser no lie I was looking for a vista cruiser and that popped up u know like in Family vacation...

Car-Dads-Clark-Griswold.jpg

lol for real though that explorer was up there for cheaper

"You think you hate it now - just wait till you drive it!"
It's pretty unusual for sure. I'm wondering how that right rear door closes with no bushing on the striker. What's this about a first gen hearse?
I was trying to find the pic and I can't. I found a local ad about 6 years ago for a first gen modified as a hearse. It had an extension to the rear of the body about 20" or so. It even had landau bars and fake wire wheel hubcaps!

I did a Google search and found a thread in this forum about another first gen hearse. It's pic is here. The one I saw was silver. Apparently it was an Bbay listing a while ago. I also found a 2021 explorer/aviator that really looks pretty good as a conversion. The modern body style seems to flow a bit better with the modifications. The first gen is cool, but you can tell its definitely not supposed to be that way.

FIrst gen Explorer hearse.jpg

The Family Truckster Explorer?:laugh:

Only it's not a Cherokee. They were really confused!
Oh yeah. I did read the article in Fourwheeler magazine that reviewed the 91 Explorer as 'four wheeler of the year'. One of the tester's quotes said they thought it looked like "a pregnant Cherokee". That has always kind of stuck with me, especially when second gens came onto the scene!

I can only assume that cherokee was the conversion company? I dunno, it's definitely an interesting piece and in really good shape.

10k for a vehicle with 180,000 miles, a salvage title, and a dealer installed woodgrain package:dunno:

If someone is willing to pay that, a Jurrasic Park Explorer must be worth 20k ;)

10k for a vehicle with 180,000 miles, a salvage title, and a dealer installed woodgrain package:dunno:

If someone is willing to pay that, a Jurrasic Park Explorer must be worth 20k ;)
That's the truth!

16151069698066170801154710306347.jpg

I'm like what the heck is going on with this week man I'm tripping... Ok first that truckster on ebay last week now it's on the explorer forum then I'm watching Jay lennos garage and this pops up.... U can't make this up man it's like I can't avoid it. Idk so strange... My friend rusty crashes his car this week and we sent a package to our friend audrey... I'm like woa. I swear if ANYTHING else family vacation happens I'm going to lose it!!!

That there’s a sign. You need to watch the film during the next full moon whilst eating real tomato ketchup and hamburger helper without the meat

I did a Google search and found a thread in this forum about another first gen hearse. It's pic is here. The one I saw was silver. Apparently it was an Bbay listing a while ago. I also found a 2021 explorer/aviator that really looks pretty good as a conversion. The modern body style seems to flow a bit better with the modifications. The first gen is cool, but you can tell its definitely not supposed to be that way.

View attachment 328241
Why am I seeing this SAS'd on 35's?

Or maybe a mild lift SAS on 33's so you could still load a body easily?

This thread + Youtube has me thinking of this old thread - Do you think 1st Gens will become classics? - I've been noticing the 1st gen X is getting a bit more appreciation these days, at least in my circles.

I have got to give the Family truckster style Explorer some credit for doing something far more original than another Jurassic Park tour vehicles everyone seems to want to make their XLT/Eddies to get attention. I already get at least a few JP comments about mine a year, and mines a 2-door Sport. On the flip side of the coin, the Hearse would be great for a Harold and Maude remake....or an Ecto 2.

I have always thought Ford did the best its ever going to do with Explorers with the 1st generation models. Maybe that's why I still have mine after 25 years.

I have always thought Ford did the best its ever going to do with Explorers with the 1st generation models. Maybe that's why I still have mine after 25 years.
I have to agree. They definitely are the most "truck like" of all Explorer generations. (Except those optioned 70s F-series trucks with the same name plate!). I'm not taking anything away from later versions but I value the 80s tech simplicity and the ruggedness of the TTB. They are all about gone around here and those you do see are beginning to rise in value.

I'm glad I got mine when I did. They were cheap and readily available. But it's like any vehicle. Whatever is popular when they are new, will probably be popular later. The best example of this is my dad's '68 mustang convertible that he bought in 1974 for $800. I don't have to say what that car is worth today. Its crazy what people get for cars now. It was just another used car at a time when convertibles were rumored to be 'safety legislated' out of existence.

Ive almost had my first Explorer 20 years. I can't believe it's been that long.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This thread + Youtube has me thinking of this old thread - Do you think 1st Gens will become classics? - I've been noticing the 1st gen X is getting a bit more appreciation these days, at least in my circles.

I have got to give the Family truckster style Explorer some credit for doing something far more original than another Jurassic Park tour vehicles everyone seems to want to make their XLT/Eddies to get attention. I already get at least a few JP comments about mine a year, and mines a 2-door Sport. On the flip side of the coin, the Hearse would be great for a Harold and Maude remake....or an Ecto 2.
A ghost busters X, I like it! I think the first gens are getting more love in general, they are beginning to get to that age where people who were young in the early 90s, now have more money to buy stuff for enjoyment. For car people, having the car you remember from childhood is a big deal. The Explorer was really popular, so it will be remembered by a lot of people who were kids from that time. I saved an Aerostar from the crusher for that reason. We had one for years until my sister wrecked it.

I'd like to have the '87 Dodge Shadow ES my dad bought new. It's just a juiced up K-car with ground effects, bigger wheels and a turbo, but that sucker was a fast little car, was unusual even when it was new, and brings back the memories I have of him taking me to first grade every morning and how he used to push that car into the turns and shift the 5 speed like a race car driver. We traded it and an 86 Omni, in for the 91 Aerostar we used to have. My dad also had a '78 Blazer Cheyenne 2WD, 350, 4 speed he bought new as well. I'd love to have that truck today. There were not many 2WD blazers, especially in the upper trim levels.

I agree, there are a lot of Jurassic conversions running around, but I wish I could have finished my Jurassic conversion by now. It's been in the works for close to 12 years now and has been in storage the last two, along with a lot of my other projects. I started it for the love of the vehicle and the original movie long before it was recently repopularized. Perhaps it will be better off for the wait. EV technology is changing drastically right now and is much better than the forklift parts I had to build with back then. It will be gas initially but an EV drivetrain is in the future.

Back