Flushed Power Steering with synthetic fluid | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Flushed Power Steering with synthetic fluid

entinnovations

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 EB V6 4x2
I decided to flush the power steering with synthetic fluid today.. I used the turkey baster method and removed the fluid from the reservoir than refilled with PS synthetic fluid. The fluid that was in there originally was red so I'm assuming it was ATF? The synthetic power steering fluid I bought and put in was clear. I emptied, filled than drove several times and everytime the fluid came out red in color. After two quarts I figured there should be enough new/clean fluid in there. My concern is.. will there be a problem with mixing the clear PS synthetic fluid with the ATF that was in there? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you remove the lines connecting to the cooler underneath the motor it drains much easier ;)

^^ Yeah the return line for the pump makes it real easy. Disconnect this line, turn the steering wheel from lock to lock and all the old fluid will be pumped out via steering gear.

I believe powersteering fluid is practically a type of ATF, like Aldive said, you should have no problem

and what could be the advantange of changing this ATF into fully synthetic PS oil

NightRock said:
and what could be the advantange of changing this ATF into fully synthetic PS oil

Less friction and often quietens the PS system.

I use synthetic in my PS.

What are the common Co. that produced synthetic PS Oil

Back