• Register Today It's free!

Flywheel

Vanquish502

Reaction score
City, State
Kitchener, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
91EB, 91EB, 92XLT
Dont know how to start this so I'll just cut to the chase.

My 91 Explorer Eddie Bauer needs a new flywheel because somehow, its missing teeth and warped...

Being a 4x4 I was wondering if you have to take the transmission, transfer case and driveshafts out totally to change the flywheel? Or can I just unbolt the driveshaft going from the tranny to the TC(or does the tranny connect directly to the TC?) and drop the tranny a few inches? Being cheap(I mean having no money) I figured I'd do it in my driveway over the winter. Or if anyone knows an easier way to do it, LET ME KNOW!!!

Also, if anyone has a flywheel sitting around for cheap(or even better, free;)) let me know. Dont feel like paying a junkyard to take one out ontop of the price of the wheel.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Vanquish502 said:
Or can I just unbolt the driveshaft going from the tranny to the TC and drop the tranny a few inches?
There is no shaft between the tranny and tcase, they are bolted together.

You are going to have to go through all the steps of removing the tranny and tcase, even if you don't completely remove them. You can just undo the bell housing from the motor (with driveshafts undone) and shift the whole assembly back to give you enough room.

Are there any special tools I'm going to need? Or will an impact gun, sockets, wrenches, floorjacks and jackstands do the job?

Also, is it worth buying a flywheel from a junkyard or should I buy a brand new one?

Ford has the flywheels for pretty cheap....like $40

You have to unbolt everything, have fun :) No "special" tools needed, but you will need the "know how"

You said flywheel, not flexplate so I assume this is a stick, you should really consider a new clutch since you will have it all apart, and possibly a new slave cylinder

Oh, I saw TC and thought torque converter, not transfer case.....you are probably right. My bad.

Back