• Register Today It's free!

FMS Header problems

stephenuke

Reaction score
City, State
Somers, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT V8 & 2012 Limited
Purchased & installed a set of FMS headers on my '96 V8 about 1 year ago. I even sent them to Jet Hot for ceramic coating. Over the course of time I have experienced a "popping". Each time it came down to the spark plug wires. There were never anything visually wrong until I tried a set of JBA 9mm wires. I always use heat socks over the boot, but this time, the boots at the 3rd & 4th spark plug/cylinder were burnt right through. There doesn't seem to be enough clearance between the header pipe and the spark plug boot.

Anyone else experience similar? Any suggestions?

i had the same problem with the stock manifolds on cylinder 3. i pulled the metal heat sleeve out of the head when i changed the plugs. drove about a week and the wire boot fell apart. burnt and twisted. new set of wires fixed it but im gettin a slight hesitation and i bet that the wires are getting hot again. Im looking into getting a set of FMS headers, looks like ill be buying header wrap too

Header wrap would be good, and the aluminum heat shields are better if you can use them.

Even with the ceramic coating, I did immediately put a header wrap on the ride side headers, near cylinders 3 & 4. And I still burned my wires. Is there a product that will withstand 1200 F direct heat?

Back