Trouble with TM Headers | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trouble with TM Headers

sounds like your magnacore boot is the problem?

ON my BII when I first installed the headers I had the heat socks AND the metal guards robert shipped with the headers, they were a PITA to get in there with the socks and the metal guards, but they did fit

Have you tried that?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

with the original set yes, they are round metal things that actually fit in the head.......
I believe you can get them anywhere, Summit, Jegs, etc

Hrmmm.. those would probably come in handy. Although, are your wire boots straight or 45 degree? My wires have 45 degree boots, except for my replace has a straight boot (I thought it might help clear the header).

my wires are like a 30 degree bend LOL Taylor Spiro 8mm wires

Anyone know the surface temp of our headers once they're warmed up? Looking for some sort of heat wrap to put between the plug and header, and the ones I'm finding withstand up to 1200 degrees.

Subscribed to this old thread. I've been troubleshooting a sporadic misfire for the last few weeks and one of my Aurora wires (#3) has met its demise, even with the fancy lava socks I've been using. I think I'm going to try straight boots. I've got one of the Motorcraft wires in now (one with the aluminum heat shield). My other wires look brand new, 7 and 8 where people seem to have problems, but mine were perfect.

I have the taylor wire set for a stock v8 engine. sometimes you can see some mini sparks flying from the plug boot towards the headers :) the aluminum heat wrap that came with the set didn't help with the spark flying either.

Maybe a good long insulated spark plug boot will fix misfire issues.

I dont have any misfires but the sparks cannot be good. This and the issue of the darn header flange leaks, that after 3 types of gaskets (tried fel-pro, mr. gasket copper and the ones that came with the headers) still wont seal up properly. Oh, and the flange bolt clearances too, I'm not quite fond of crows feet wrenches y'know :rolleyes:

I've been troubleshooting a sporadic misfire for the last few weeks and one of my Aurora wires (#3) has met its demise, even with the fancy lava socks I've been using. I think I'm going to try straight boots. I've got one of the Motorcraft wires in now (one with the aluminum heat shield).

I should have my used headers friday...Did the straight boots work for you?

Socks with straight boots the way to go?

What are the best gaskets and bolts to use?

plug the egr?

Thanks!

I should have my used headers friday...Did the straight boots work for you?

Socks with straight boots the way to go?

What are the best gaskets and bolts to use?

plug the egr?

Thanks!

If you're even considering a UI spacer as I saw in another thread, make sure you get the extended EGR tube from Bob.

The straight boot I'm using on #3 is great. I wouldn't recommend straight boots necessarily on all 8 because some times you want to come in from the top. I think I have one straight boot (#3), two 90 degree boots (#8 and #6 if I recall) and the rest are 135 degree boots. All with socks.

Whatever you do, don't go with copper gaskets. Jon couldn't get them sealed up on my truck no matter how hard he tried. I've got the Bob supplied gaskets in there now. I actually have a set from Percy's (the aluminum ones) that I'll get put on if I ever have leaking issues. I heard great things about Remflex. So much so that they sent me just enough sample material to create a gasket that seals up the two pieces on the driver's side. It's a carbon material that squashes down to seal up any void space. Good to 3000F.

The bolts that came with mine were top notch. Jon and Eric said they were very good. Not sure if your used ones come with. I've seen other options available that you should be able to get locally.

Three different boot angles...Is there a set of wires that come with all of those angle boots?
The headers i bought are coming with an egr plug. James at Henson said he could set the tuner so the plugged egr wont throw a code. Any issues not running an egr?
Where is the best place to buy the gaskets you mentioned?

I buy my wires from a Canadian company that will custom make anything you want. The original set I got were all 135 degree, but necessity for other boots got to buy individual wires to replaced burned ones.
Posted via Mobile Device

you can buy the percy's gaskets from summit, jegs, etc. Or the felpro gaskets from your local auto parts store.

Is Felpro as good as Remflex and Percy's?

Will the felpros hold up and not leak?

What are the part numbers for the Percy's and Remflex gaskets? Collector gasket numbers too?
It looks like Felpro is Fel-90000 is that correct?

Does anyone know if the remflex rf3003 is correct?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

CA inspection?

. . .
The headers i bought are coming with an egr plug. James at Henson said he could set the tuner so the plugged egr wont throw a code. Any issues not running an egr? . . .

Do you have to pass an emissions inspection where you live? If so, the inspector may notice the plugged EGR port. Your valves will last longer if you have a functional EGR system since combustion chamber temperatures will be less. The disadvantage of EGR is the carbon that builds up in the intake system from the exhaust.

Back