Fog Bulb Wattages and Wires and Other Nonsense | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fog Bulb Wattages and Wires and Other Nonsense

My fogs are hopelessly broken. I was looking at getting some Hella Optilux 1200s, as they fit the little square pretty well. Theyre also dirt cheap, which is also cool. They use H3 bulbs apparently, which has a higher wattage than the 899s that exploded in my last fog lights. I read a thing in the FAQ about higher wattage bulbs and rewiring and some sort of complicated nonsense I didn't get.

The question is, can I use the H3s that fit into the Optilux 1200s and just plug them into the plugs that are hanging there from my stocks? Or if the plug is wrong, can I chop them off and put an H3 plug on with ease and without causing any problems from the higher wattage? It seems to me that having a switch explode because of fog lights that were too high of wattage wouldn't cause me to have a very good day.

The best way is to install the lights per the instructions that come with the lights.
Instead of useing the switch provided with the lights you run the + wire from the OEM fogs to the relay and connect it on the only terminal that has not been used. When you get your lights and see the installation diagram this nonsence should become clear to you.
If you just attach the bulb wires directly to the OEM fog wires your lights will not be as bright and your wires will be carring more current than they were designed for.

Any suggestions on good places to buy lights from? Apparently the model I want is relatively obscure.

The Optilux are a asian(cheaply) made light for Hella. A far better choice would be the Hella FF75. You can get them here: http://www.rallylights.com/hella/ff075.asp
I have delt with rallylights and they are very good. You may find them cheaper on ebay or another site. Google them.

Back