• Register Today It's free!

Fog in my face

DonsFords

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer SOHC
I have a 99 Explorer Sport SOHC. When I turn on the defrost the entire windshield fogs up then begins to clear. This has been happening since about the time the warranty ran out. I am the only owner. It is a safety issue sometimes. I do not believe it is a leak in the evaporator or heater core. I am not loosing antifreeze/coolant or refrigerant. This seems to happen more in the spring and fall.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know you say you don't think it's a heater core, but that's the most common cause. A very small pinhole can cause fogging while not releasing much antifreeze.

The only reason it would fog up is an introduction of moisture. I think the heater core is probably what you are looking at. Fortunately it sounds like the leak is small enough you might get away with using a simple radiator leak stop.

It probably is in the core. It's just that it does not leave a film on the glass or an odor. That is what I have experience with my 71 Comet GT and 84 T Bird. I thought maybe it had something to do with the A/C compressor cycling ,or not,leaving moisture on the evaporator. It fogs then starts to defrost right away. No problems after initial defrost.

Dunno where you are located but this is normal in the fall or in humid conditions when moisture condenses in the vent tract (for example: overnight)
Posted via Mobile Device

I was going to say what IZ did- my vehicles all do this from time to time, and none of the m have HC leaks. If it's a immediate fog for about 5-10 seconds that clears from the bottom up as "fresh" air hits it, that's what I have even in my '07 Camry... Been doing it lately as the weather changes to fall with big temp swings.

Back