Fog lgiht question again! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fog lgiht question again!

Hey I got another fog light question. I installed some fog lights on my 02 explorer and I haven't wired them yet but I just mounted them in, but I was wanting to wire them this way and I was wondering how I would do this, I have an idea but not quite sure how to do it using a seperate switch. I want it to work like stock fogs, you can only hit the switch on if your parking lamps/driving lamps are on.

I would have to run this wire through the current lighting system somehow but I'm confused on which wires to run it to.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What kind of lights did you get? Did they come with instructions?
The reason I ask is that it is easier for all if you are looking at a drawing as opposed to reading my fragmented sentences.

I can comprehend fragmented sentences, the diagram just shows the simple way of hooking them up to the switch, simply as hook up your ground, run the wires through a fire wall, hook up the hot wire to fuse or battery and where to hook them up on the switch. I want them to only be able to flick on if the headlamps or parking lamps are on

Here is my idea on how to do it, correct me if I am wrong, run the wires to the existing wires somehow (which is what i need explained) using the same power wire and somehow it would only allow you turn on the fog lamps if the headlight switch isn't in the OFF position..

BTW, they are Pilot fog lamps

Take a look at : Dead Link Removed
You connect the switch wire to the "hot wire for your parking lights. Use an elect. tester to determin the hot wire. Connect it with a "plastic Splicing connection". They will sell them where you get the elect. tester.

Hopefully it came with a relay.
That way you aren't pulling power from your parking lights to power the fogs. You want to pull power from the battery, but have the relay connected to your existing lights so that if you leave them on your chime will remind you.
Does that make sense?

Not sure if it came with a relay, I'm at school but I'm pretty sure that it didn't... do you know if there's anywhere you could purchase one for Pilot lights if it didn't come with one? Thanks for that diagram, makes sense to me, just finding the wires is gonna be the hard part.

Back