Fog light/driving light wiring | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fog light/driving light wiring

wool motors

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer xlt
I have a 2002 explorer that DID NOT come with fog lights. I am installing a pair of Hella lamps using the fog light wiring that came with the car. I've switched out the light switch with one that came with fog lights. I understand that this model still included the wiring for the fog lights. I've did find a three wire female connector hanging near the windshield washer resevoir but not sure if this is for the fog lights. Any ideas on how I can connect these lamps to the switch. Thank you. Wool

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Should be a Tan wire with Orange stripe.

I would just wire them yourself so you can control when they're on. If using factory they're going to auto turn off when you turn the high beams on and may require the parking lights to be on to turn them on.

Thanks for the reply. I was also thinking that I could splice directly into the hi beam wire?

Thanks for the reply. I was also thinking that I could splice directly into the hi beam wire?

Um no, don't splice into anything. Adding more wattage to a circuit will blow fuses. High beams are 65 watts each. Fogs are 55 watts each unless you get 100 watt bulbs for them.

Are you using real yellow fog lights?

Just make your own relayed switch. You'll only need to run a single wire into the cab to be grounded out by the switch to activate the relay.

Personally if I were going to go though all the trouble I'd add both driving lights and yellow fog lights.

Something like http://www.autoanything.com/lights/77A5642A3838070.aspx and install a yellow bulb on the fog side.

hella_optilux_2020_dual_fog_driving_lights.jpg

Those look like they would mount well in the tow hook access hole spots under the bumper.

Thanks again! I'm adding a pair of Hella 500 round clear lamps. I've changed the light switch for one that has the driving light feature. I hoped to connect the Hellas to the wiring ford used when the fog lights came with the car. My explorer didn't come with the lights but I was told the lighting harness included the fog lite connection whether it came with fog lights or not. I just can't find it if indeed it's there. I only see a three wire female connector. I prefer to keep the wiring simple. Thanks for your help. Wool

Back