• Register Today It's free!

fog light mod

codycode

Reaction score
City, State
Rockford IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford explorer
Okay on my 2004 Ford Explorer how do I get my fog lights to stay on when I put my high beams on

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've never noticed that they turn off. The turn signal/ wiper/ high beam switch must interrupt the ground to the fog lights when activated. Or something of the sorts. You could run your own switch for the fogs. I'll see if my manual will shed any light on it sometime in the next couple of days. No pun intended.

In Australia, they're not fog lights - they are driving lights and only come on with high beam. Weird that they'd wire them, differently between local (US) version and export.

I actually changed mine so that they come on with parkers and stay on from then if the manual switch is pressed - but I used a relay and all new wiring to achieve this. I then reused the factory circuit to power a set of driving lights behind the grill.

For your situation, my guess is that there are 2 relays - one that enables them to come on with the fog light switch, and a second relay that stops power, or ground, when high beam is activated. The easiest way to check this is to intercept the ground wire at the light (T into it with another wire), and have that go directly to ground. I'd just do one light as a test and if the light then works on high beam, you're done (well, apart from repeating on the other light).

If not, then it must be a powered switch that turns off the foglight relay when high beam is on - you just need to find that relay and trigger wire (pin 86) and snip it and tape it to isolate it. Knowing Ford - it's a ground wire switch though, so I'd try that first.

Sorry, I can't be more helpful.

So, there is most likely a 5 pin relay in this configuration.
Pin 87 is used to supply power to the fog lights. However, when the high beams are turned on, power is sent to pin 87a, which then removes the contact from pin 87 (transferring it to 87a) and thus killing the fog lights.
If this is correct, then all one would have to do is disconnect (or cut) the wire that goes from the high beam switch to the relay for the fog lamps connecting to pin 87a.

As someone else's 'signature' states. This sounds good in theory, we could live there, but that doesn't mean this answer will work.

But it does sound good, in theory that is.

Don't mean to be a debbie downer… But I believe it's illegal to have your high beams on and fog lights on at the same time.

I would do a quick search on your state before cruising around town with both sets of lights on to be safe.

Don't mean to be a debbie downer… But I believe it's illegal to have your high beams on and fog lights on at the same time.

I would do a quick search on your state before cruising around town with both sets of lights on to be safe.

Most states allow a set of low beam, a set of high beam and one set of auxiliary lights on at the same time (ie total of 6 lights). Ford turn them off with high beam mostly because they'd be next to useless (ie the highbeam would out-perform the fog lights). But other than that, there is no reason not to have them on at the same time. If you are also running a set of driving lights on a brush guard, or behind the grille, then you may well be in a small amount of trouble if the police ever bothered to pull you over for it.

I have been wondering this too? Saw it on the Ranger fog light mod that was how you do it to a 04. have you tried the pin cutting yet? did it work out?

Hi folks! Actually the laws in North America (Canada too) specify no more than four forward (conventional) bulbs on at once. Typically vehicles with separate high and low bulbs keep the lows on when the highs are on. If the fogs stayed on with the high beams, then there would be 6 bulbs on. Here in Ontario I've heard of people being pulled over for having aux lights on with high beams, and some jurisdictions in the US are snarky about it too. That said, I'm adding my Bosch driving lights in the spring, wired separately to be on any time!

The real trick is for those trucks with daytime running lights to turn that off without disabling the headlights, or to run on the fogs, to save my $60 low bulbs from burning out in a year....

http://www.generation-edge.info/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5033 I am looking into this mod closer might just do the trick its all ford maybe it works on the explorer if anyone beats me to it tell me I think the box on a explorer is in the back behind the rear right passenger pillar but still gotta look take care guys/gals

I have 4 kc's an my high an low beams an my fog lights I know way better than to flip it on when there is on comming cars cause just the green dots in my eyes alone while checking out what it looked like didnt go away to quick when I pulled a wonder how bright this is an scratched the itch of looking lol ok back to the ncaa badger basket ball game this mod has a wait awhile!

I just read that link you posted to, he says he has a ranger, but days it should work on most other fords. I just finished a transmission fluid change, so too tired to try this. If you do, please post you results. I've looked for a solution to this further. Thx!!

I have 4 kc's an my high an low beams an my fog lights I know way better than to flip it on when there is on comming cars cause just the green dots in my eyes alone while checking out what it looked like didnt go away to quick when I pulled a wonder how bright this is an scratched the itch of looking lol ok back to the ncaa badger basket ball game this mod has a wait awhile!

Is that one long sentence or is it supposed to be like 4 or 5? I got a headache reading it.

I got the solution for the Mod to the Fog lights an high beams on at the same time pay a someone to figure it out. I like doing things on my own but leaving this one up to the experts and JCUZ do you have a youtube video of your exaust set up an truck what it sounds like? That would be great to listen too cause if reading is giving you a headache m8 then you must be really hurting when your truck is running

I have 8 lights to turn on but 10 would be better
2949_zpsf464b47c.jpg

I got the solution for the Mod to the Fog lights an high beams on at the same time pay a someone to figure it out. I like doing things on my own but leaving this one up to the experts and JCUZ do you have a youtube video of your exaust set up an truck what it sounds like? That would be great to listen too cause if reading is giving you a headache m8 then you must be really hurting when your truck is running

10% of your posts so far have been high quality. At least the most recent one was punctuated. And a forum is for sharing ideas, problems and solutions - "pay a (sic) someone to figure it out" is not really helpful is it.

This started with the headacke thing so heres what I could dig up of the rules and as far as I can tell posting with incorrect puncuation isnt a problem to publicly lash a person for well here is the rule: Flaming, the act of berating, provoking, or giving someone a "verbal lashing" in a public forum will not be tolerated on this board. DON'T DO IT! Abusive and foul language is also not tolerated. This is intended to be a family site, so keep it clean..... So when you agree with a guy who posts a provoking thing towards another member or how he got a head acke reading what that member typed on here you too are Abusive! Yes it was good to refreash me on my grammer but not out in public I dont care how 1244 posts you have I only typed that trying to help and put the link up to help with a question also I am new to this posting an dont understand what I accually did to upset anybody to start with and all I was doing was trying to help with a question I had also about fog lights, and high beams good for you to rewire them an In Australia that may be how you have to do it but I wont do that here in the Usa its just not the same thing. See after reading this its why you dont agree with a guy about a headacke now you broke a rule he broke a rule it was the part about provoking an then you hit on abuse when you typed out the 10% part an that is Public lashing so thanks for ruining my time on this forum for good an to think I was just about to buy the Elite Explorer mebership thing too even talked it over with my girlfriend about how I liked the site but no not anymore I am done being abused.

I can't speak for JCUZ, but I was merely asking one question and stating one fact. My question was how many sentences your post was supposed to be and the fact was that I actually did get a headache reading it. That was not abusive. If you think that's abusive then you might have a hard time being part of any webforums if your skin is that thin. If you are in fact trying to help the OP and he can't understand your post because of bad punctuation then you're not really helping, are you?

What was the question again? Oh yea, keeping AUX lights on. I personally re-wired the lights, added a relay that was connected to the parking light circuit. I will be putting in a cut off switch in the near future so I can shut them off. I had to by pass the factory switch as I want to have them on w/high beam. These light illuminate the side of the road and the road directly in front. There are many ways to do this so I suppose it is up to you on how you want to configure your lights. Good luck and have fun

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In Australia, they're not fog lights - they are driving lights and only come on with high beam. Weird that they'd wire them, differently between local (US) version and export.

I actually changed mine so that they come on with parkers and stay on from then if the manual switch is pressed - but I used a relay and all new wiring to achieve this. I then reused the factory circuit to power a set of driving lights behind the grill.

For your situation, my guess is that there are 2 relays - one that enables them to come on with the fog light switch, and a second relay that stops power, or ground, when high beam is activated. The easiest way to check this is to intercept the ground wire at the light (T into it with another wire), and have that go directly to ground. I'd just do one light as a test and if the light then works on high beam, you're done (well, apart from repeating on the other light).

If not, then it must be a powered switch that turns off the foglight relay when high beam is on - you just need to find that relay and trigger wire (pin 86) and snip it and tape it to isolate it. Knowing Ford - it's a ground wire switch though, so I'd try that first.

Sorry, I can't be more helpful.

Just wondering if you can give some more info on this. mine is the same, fog lights only come on with high beams. I want mine wired back to the original switch, ie the pull out button on the headlight switch. Can you give me some info on this?

Thanks,

Back