Ford 8.8 Q's | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford 8.8 Q's

KCyber

Reaction score
I'm looking for some technical specs on the 8.8 rear end. Specifically, I'd like a 95+ Explorer since I think it measures 61", and has discs. Questions...

1) What ratio's are available, most common?
2) What years did the Explorers start using the 8.8?
3) Were they all the same width?
4) Any other Ford trucks use this axle that are of the same width?
5) Any web link that might have these details?

Thanks a bunch.
KC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't answer all your questions, but I can answer some:

1: 3.27, 3.55 (I think), 3.73, 4.10 are the ones Ford has. 4.56 and possibly higher from aftermarket sources. Most Explorers don't go past 4.56 since higher gears aren't available for the Dana 35 front end.

2: I think all Explorers use the 8.8.

3: Not sure, but I am inclined to think that they are. Others here would know. I do know that they are a bit longer than the ones used in some Rangers (some Rangers used the 7.5" rear), and are a 31 spline unit as opposed to the 28 used in the Ranger. The 31 spline axle shafts are a bit larger in diameter and are stronger. I think that Mustangs used both spline counts in various years and models, along with the 7.5" rear.

4: Don't know.

5: Look for other Ford truck sites such as f150online.com. They may be able to tell you.

------------------
Tom
99 Sport 4x4
SOHC
Auburn Rear & Gerald's old Shackles
265/75-R16 BFG AT's that weren't supposed to fit

If I'm not mistaken the Ford Motorsport catalog sells gear ratios for the 8.8" rear end. The catalog has squat for explorers but they do sell the gears. Hope this helps.

P.S. Mustangs also used the 9" rear.

------------------
Jim Ferrarini
Skaman0182@yahoo.com
96 Sport 5-speed
JBA headers
Borla cat-back exhaust
modified airbox
K&N filter
+4 plugs
8.5mm wires
other small mods.
Coming soon:
K&N filter kit

All Explorers do use the 8.8 rear. The 91-94's had read drums, the 95+ had the rear discs. According to some sources, the 95+ rears are 3" wider than the early ones. There are no other Ford vehicles that use the 8.8, that are the same width (except the 4.0 Rangers are the same width as the 91-94 Explorers).

Hope this helped some.
Gloria

93 EB Explorer (highly modified)
94 F150 Lightning

Actually, the 28-spline 8.8 used in 4.0 Rangers is about 1.5" narrower than the Explorer 8.8.

As for the disk brake model being wider, I don't think so, but I haven't measured my new one yet......

------------------
Scott
1993 Ranger, Modified

sjbosso@mindspring.com

Hmmmm, that is odd. I had a 90 Ranger supercab 4x4 4.0 with the 28-spline 8.8 at the same time that I had my 93 EB Explorer. The rear axles were exactly the same width. As a matter of fact, 2 long side Ranger (28-spline), or Explorer (31-spline), will fit into a 86-93 Mustang rear. Was a cheap way to get 5x4.5 instead of 4x4.5.

How do I know this you ask...... owned a 91 Mustang GT at the same time as the other two.

Hell, maybe Ford made them a different width every year. Who knows.

Gloria
94 F150 Lightning

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial ">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Extreme4x4:
the 95+ rears are 3" wider than the early ones.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know if you should trust your sources on that one Gloria. I didn't measure them but my drum brake rear and disc brake rear are the same width from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface. They appear to be the same from flange to flange as well. I don't have time right now but if it really is an issue I can measure them tomorrow.

------------------
Paul Gagnon
Calgary, Alberta
"No Brain, No Pain"
Dead Link Removed

Technically Velveeta isn't REALLY cheese... it's a cheese food...
The stuff that other cheeses eat... I guess.

In 1993, I (we) ordered/owned both an Explorer and a Ranger. According to the brochures, the Explorer had a wider track width, and I believe the factory wheels had the same offset. Also, I made three measurements: spring-to-spring, spring-to-inside of backing plate flange (each side). The spring width was the same, the other distance slightly different.

Like I said, I've only looked at 1993 models.

I will probably see my Explorer (and my ex) this weekend, so I will try to measure the axle. I'll also measure my Ranger axle and the '98 Explorer axle.

------------------
Scott
1993 Ranger, Modified

sjbosso@mindspring.com

I wonder if there is a difference in wheel mounting surface measurements between drum and disk brake models.

Maybe the ex will let me pull apart the Explorer (hehehehe.......)

------------------
Scott
1993 Ranger, Modified

sjbosso@mindspring.com

Paul, it is not I who thinks the 95+ rears are wider. Everyone on the Ranger board has corrected me about 1 million times about that (slight exageration). I had no reason to believe there were any wider rears, because it didn't make sense. Why change axle lengths when you have perfectly good ones sitting there. The axles don't care if you have discs or drums.

Anyway Scott, like I said, the only ones I know for sure are the 90-92 Ranger 4.0, and the 91-94 Explorer being the same. Other than that, I am only going on peoples words.

Gloria
94 F150 Lightning

I actually measured my '98 Explorer rear end this weekend - wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface is about 59 1/2".

I didn't get to pull the ex's apart, and I was too lazy to pull Ranger apart to measurements. But I will.....

------------------
Scott
1993 Ranger, Modified

sjbosso@mindspring.com

Back