Ford 8.8 - Weak Link?

Bronco638

Nobody Home
Reaction score
City, State
Elk Grove, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'17 Expedition XLT
On a recent trip, I picked up the August issue of Four Wheeler. Inside is an article on Ford full sized trucks and Broncos concerning weak drivetrain components and how to 'fix' them. The Ford 8.8 was listed as a weak axle. I don't recall anyone, on this site, having problems with the 8.8 axle.

I could not find the article on the Four Wheeler web site so I'll summarize;
"... Problems tend to arise when the axle is fitted with oversized tires and used off-highway. Some of the failure points include the housing, axle shafts and yokes...."

"Sturdy fix: Jeremy Naegar at Custom Differentials says that a few of the internal upgrades he recommends include a U.S. Gear or Ford Motorsport gearset, Eaton carbon-fiber limited-slip differential and, if your axle is older, a set of '87-or-newer axleshafts because they're of beefier construction than pre-87 models. External upgrades include a 1350 series pinion yoke and top-of-axle truss. He also likes to tack weld the axle tubes to the center section due to their tendency to spin. Finally, for hard trail use, Naegar says he likes T/A differential covers, which are designed to support the bearing caps under heavy load."

For more info contact: Custom Differentials

Anyone care to comment?

Thanks - Dave.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 28 spline units aren't nearly as strong as the X's 31 spline units. Only a few members have grenaded them.

I had 4.30 gears, 33x12.50 tires, the Eaton LS, the TA cover, and pushed 400 bhp and 500 btq (multiplied by the tranny) through it at times with no problems at all.

That being said, they're not be as strong as a D44 or Ford 9".

Alec,

Where'd you get the T/A cover and do your remember the price?

Thanks, D.

I think I got it from Randy's.

Actually, the 8.8 is stronger than the Dana 44. Peterson's did an article a few years ago on Warn hardened axles vs. stock axles. The stock 31 spline 8.8 axle shaft was stronger (took more torque to break) than the stock 30 spline Dana 44, and it was almost as strong as Warn's hardened Dana 44 axle.

The 8.8 is a strong axle, we hardly ever have to repair them due to oversized tires or offroad incidents. One time when I had a 1998 F-150 (before my supercrew was purchased), I was running 36x12.50 tires and 4.56 gears with the stock limited slip and it broke the third member in half right at the pin. I wasn't offroading, I was just white smoking the tires showing out. Other than that I put over a 100k on it without any other incidents from the rear end. As far as housing problems the only housing I have seen replace that were 8.8 are the new aluminum housings on the ford 2003 ford explorers and mountaineers. The metal housing have never had an issue, nor have I ever known anyone who had any concerns with them.

I am not running a 8.8 now because I swapped it out for full width axles.

Like you said they were only comparing them when under a full size.
The 8.8 is a strong axle but a 9" has more potential under a larger vehicle as it has greater aftermarket parts.
-James

Thanks for the replies Everyone.

As I originally said, I do not recall any memebrs posting issues with the rear axle. I'm going to be swapping a 4.10 axle (for my 3.55s) this winter and was wondering if I should apply some of the "fixes" mentioned in the article. A Ford 9" axle would be fun (I have experience with them from my Shelby Mustang days) but it seems as if the stock unit is fine for what I want to do.

Thanks again, Dave.

8.8 Weak? Aww hell I've never had a problem with the 8.8 in my stang nor my explorer. Modified mustangs with TKO Transmissions rated at 600ft-lbs of TQ snap before they hurt the rear end doing 6000rpm launches on slicks.

Thanks, Matt.

I'm starting to think that Four Wheeler is a GM publication and they enjoy bashing Ford and D/C.

D.

The 8.8 is a great axle. I gave mine some hell. I would have kept it too but i wanted the stability and the strength of the full width 9" and 44. I did sell my 8.8 to a friend with a jeep and he will now enjoy having a stout rear axle :D

Matt

Back