Ford explorer 2003 "jerking" on 4x4 auto but not in 4x4 high | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford explorer 2003 "jerking" on 4x4 auto but not in 4x4 high

sebbe

Reaction score
City, State
Sweden
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 ford explorer
Hello i have a ford explorer 2003 and it "jerking"/jumping when hold the brake down and have the D in but only in 4x4auto and not in 4x4 high anyone eho knows the problem with my car

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you mean when you hold the brake down while moving, or holding the brake down while not moving?

Does "have the D in" mean you have it in the regular Drive gear?

My first two guesses would be that you have a transfer case speed sensor problem, indicating mismatched axle speeds, or that you have a mismatched tire diameter between the front and rear so it is really sensing a difference in axle speeds. Is this only happening on slick surfaces where there may be wheels slipping when the brakes are applied?

I'm wondering if what you are feeling is just the 4WD continuously engaging, disengaging, and engaging again because the system thinks you are losing traction.

Does your vehicle have the stability control feature? If so, (and I could be wrong) then it may depend on the ABS wheel speed sensors at each of the wheels and a bad ABS signal from any, could trigger stability control to kick in? I would want a scan tool capable of Ford-specific trouble codes, to see if any codes are set and to monitor the speed sensors when this happens.

Do you mean when you hold the brake down while moving, or holding the brake down while not moving?

My first two guesses would be that you have a transfer case speed sensor problem, indicating mismatched axle speeds, or that you have a mismatched tire diameter between the front and rear so it is really sensing a difference in axle speeds. Is this only happening on slick surfaces where there may be wheels slipping when the brakes are applied?

I'm wondering if what you are feeling is just the 4WD continuously engaging, disengaging, and engaging again because the system thinks you are losing traction.

Does your vehicle have the stability control feature? If so, (and I could be wrong) then it may depend on the ABS wheel speed sensors at each of the wheels and a bad ABS signal from any, could trigger stability control to kick in? I would want a scan tool capable of Ford-specific trouble codes, to see if any codes are set and to monitor the speed sensors when this happens.
It's happening when i not move and also feel it when drivning but when in 4x4 high it goes like normal

I think it's the 4wd like you say but i wonder where the problem can be and also where to star looking :/

Next question:
Are all tires within 1/4" diameter?
Yes i forgot the car dont stand still when it's in Park on transmission it's Rolling can it be the transmission?

There is a small metal pin called a pawl in the transmission that engages when in park.
It may be sheared off

There is a small metal pin called a pawl in the transmission that engages when in park.
It may be sheared off
Okay thanks! Do you think the pawl can make the jerking to?

Okay thanks! Do you think the pawl can make the jerking to?
No
It is engaged when shifted into park.
If it did get sheared, the truck was more than likely still moving when it got shifted to park.
I would follow thru with the ideas J_C
Has pointed to

Back