Ford Explorer `96 A4LD problem

Explorer XLT 4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Finland
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 96 XLT Black
Hellou!

I am from Finland and I have `96 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4. When I start the engine for the first time of the day I hear a little noise.. it sounds like a turbo :rolleyes: When I start to drive its get louder, and when the transmission gets to a shift point the noise almost stops but when the transmission changes to the next gear the transmission get same noise again until the next shift getting "lock". Once I have driven about 2 to 3 miles the noise stops, I think that then the transmission fluid isn't cold anymore? I doesn`t have full synthetic atf, just the "ATF 320" I don;t know what kind of fluid there was in it before the change.

I changed the fluid, since it wasn't red anymore, but more of a brown color, so I think that the same fluid must have been in there for a long time.... However when I change thte fluid only half or so comes out, so what's there after a change is half old and half new... so how i get all old fluid/oils exit of transmission?

Does anyone have any idea what part started making noise like a turbo when the transmission/oils are cold? turbine clutch?? and if you know what part is it, how big of a job is it is it change that part and how much does it cost?

Explorer is fantastic car but only the transmission is little started to work strange :(

what i should to do???

thanks for answer! :) you can also send answer fordisti@hotmail.com

It sounds to me like the problem may be related to the torque convertor. Exactly what it is making the noise though I will have to admit I am not sure. When you say "lock" are you referring to Torque convertor lockup?

I agree that it may be a problem that goes away when the fluid is warm.

Certain Valve Body problems have had associated noises in certain model years of explorers, maybe someone with more knowledge of that might be able to help us analyze that possibility.

Welcome to the forum.

The 96 doesn't use the A4LD. If it's a 4.0L 4X4, then it uses the 4R55E. I once put in a rebuilt torque converter in my 3.0L 88 with an A4LD, and the converter made a terrible whining sound until it warmed up. It also had a very delayed shift. After driving it for a week, the transmission went completely dead. It turned out that the torque converter was defective.

Back