Ford explorer Door rattle ?

sze kan

Reaction score
City, State
Philippines
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2012 3.5L V6
Hi all,
Just noticed that all of my doors make a single rattle noise when it is going over bumps or uneven road. The sound is more like a single "tukkkk" like as if the doors are not jammed in properly ...
I have opened all of them and made sure everything is tight... then I also applied sound deadening on the panels.. However, the sound is still there... it only happens on uneven surface and if Def. Somewhere from the main frame and not inside the door panels...

Do the doors have any rubber stoppers which you can adjust? I have seen some rubber adjusters in the hood and the rear trunk but not on the doors....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The door should not rattle even off road.

Adjust your striker or bring it to a body shop explain what is going on and they can adjust them for you.

I just solved a 20k pop-pop-pop/groan-groan-groan noise from the front passenger door with lithium grease. The recommended silicone spray wouldn't work.

The "tuk" noise I hear is from the latch side of the door (where the door locks) but I am not sure if it's the door or the noise coming from the interior B pillars where the seat belts are

Do this test that finally isolated my noise.

Open the door, lie it gently against the latch. Do not latch the door. With it lying on the latch, push gently as if to shut the door but slow enough so the latch won't catch.

If you hear a tuck tuck or pop pop sound, it's probably the latch.

Take it from a guy who took apart his b-pillar top to bottom multiple times before finally figuring it out... one broken clip later that's now causing another noise. Sigh.

Get the city to pave the roads.;)

Peter

i found the culprit.... it was the black moulding for the wires for the rear door. when i move that moulding, i can hear the "tuk tuk" sound. i simply glued it... atleast more sound less in my explorer....

Ok Im going to share a story with you. I worked for ford from 1964 to 1975. I was 22 yo when I started. I got to talk with co workers that had 35 years on the job. Back in the 50s/60s ford was working seven days 24 hrs.Two 12 hr shifts. They were tired and bored. So one of the workers in the trim department took an empty one pint whisky bottle and put some screws in it with a note that said How long did it take you to find this rattle.He put the bottle in the roof before the head liner went up.
Working on the line for 10.5 years I know that could happen.

Back