Ford Explorer MFT - New Glitches Show Up Every Day | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer MFT - New Glitches Show Up Every Day

While sailing the other day, I was wondering who had the Captain Nemo package (Package 20000LUtS) on their Explorer. Turns out it was you! Sweet...very sweet my friend :D

What kind of mileage does it get in the water?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ahhhh...I thought that was you! I live right across the sound from you in St James, Long Island. Maybe I'll meet you out on the buoy one day for a brew! LOL

I don't actually live in norwalk, just driving to work. I think at this point I wish my car was at the bottom of the sound.

So I bought the vehicle February 2011

I should have a vehicle with My Ford Touch providing the advertised functionality in 3rd quarter of 2012?
One would think the functionality would have been stable and provide value for the amount spent in February, 2011, eh?

I wonder if I could make my lease payments with that same idea.
It would be nice to finance directly from the manufacturer. If that was the case, they'd be getting a payment from me each month less about 50% of the retail value of MFT, and told the rest was anticipated in the 4th quarter of when hell froze over!

Went for another swim yesterday.

20120602_200914.jpg

You know what you should do to check the system........when it shows you "swimming" you should immediately go into Diagnostic Mode and see how many satellites your GPS is actually seeing.

There is a "Sticky" thread on Diagnostic Mode.

If you have 3 or more then it's not the GPS transceiver hardware its software.

3 satellites gives your lat/long the 4th gives elevation.

You know what you should do to check the system........when it shows you "swimming" you should immediately go into Diagnostic Mode and see how many satellites your GPS is actually seeing.

There is a "Sticky" thread on Diagnostic Mode.

If you have 3 or more then it's not the GPS transceiver hardware its software.

3 satellites gives your lat/long the 4th gives elevation.

Its a combination of both. The hardware doesn't have the capability to see enough satellites, and the software doesn't know how to interpret it

Here is how many satellites the car can see compared to how many my phone can see fromthe exact same spot.

20120602_202058.jpg

Screenshot_2012-06-02-20-23-02.png

Interesting the phone sees 10 sats compared to 4 sats on MFT

Anyone know what GPS module we have in the vehicles?

I was hoping it was a 12 channel Trimble but appears not.

Probably why I can drive for 20 minutes in open areas and still have the "No GPS" icon on the screen.

Anyone get more then 4?

Is the area you are in highly wooded, or has other obstructions that would degrade the GPS signal? That might explain part of it.

Don't know why your phone would have better satellite reception than your car, though. What's interesting is that there is a shift in the circle and grid on the phone picture - which is what is happening to your nav system.

Is there a setting on Nav that causes the nav to keep to the roads in areas with bad signal? The Garmins used to have something like that to help out in areas with weak signal, or where the map data and real world data did not coincide.

Is the area you are in highly wooded, or has other obstructions that would degrade the GPS signal? That might explain part of it.

Don't know why your phone would have better satellite reception than your car, though. What's interesting is that there is a shift in the circle and grid on the phone picture - which is what is happening to your nav system.

Is there a setting on Nav that causes the nav to keep to the roads in areas with bad signal? The Garmins used to have something like that to help out in areas with weak signal, or where the map data and real world data did not coincide.

The circle not being centered is because the phone wasn't being held flat. Nothing to do with signal or accuracy.

The best test would be to borrow someone's Garmin and see if there is a difference. That would either confirm, or rule out, environment as the cause. The cellphone is not a good test IMHO as it can receive data from the cell towers that gives it the location of the satellites (making it easier for it to "lock on"). Not saying that its using this data in this picture, just saying it might be.

I thought the cell-tower positioning is simply "in addition to" the GPS location provided by Satellites and that just improves the accuracy.

The best test would be to borrow someone's Garmin and see if there is a difference. That would either confirm, or rule out, environment as the cause. The cellphone is not a good test IMHO as it can receive data from the cell towers that gives it the location of the satellites (making it easier for it to "lock on"). Not saying that its using this data in this picture, just saying it might be.

I have a garmin, it works flawlessly.

Edit, old pic, but taken in same location.

IMAG0647.jpg

IMAG0648.jpg

Ok, then there's definitely a problem if you consistently get a signal with the garmin unit and nothing with MFT. I've noticed that my GPS reception could be better but only slightly worse than Garmin. Of course my memory of how well the Garmin works may be inaccurate!

I thought the cell-tower positioning is simply "in addition to" the GPS location provided by Satellites and that just improves the accuracy.

There are several different types of Assisted GPS that cellphones can use.

From the wiki article:
"Assistance falls into two categories:

1.Information used to more quickly acquire satellites
It can supply orbital data or almanac for the GPS satellites to the GPS receiver, enabling the GPS receiver to lock to the satellites more rapidly in some cases.
The network can provide precise time.
2.Calculation of position by the server using information from the GPS receiver
The device captures a snapshot of the GPS signal, with approximate time, for the server to later process into a position.
The assistance server has a good satellite signal, and plentiful computation power, so it can compare fragmentary signals relayed to it
Accurate, surveyed coordinates for the cell site towers allow better knowledge of local ionospheric conditions and other conditions affecting the GPS signal than the GPS receiver alone, enabling more precise calculation of position. (See also Wide Area Augmentation System)
As an additional benefit, in some A-GPS device implementations, known as "MS-Assisted," the amount of CPU and programming required for a GPS receiver is reduced by offloading most of the work onto the assistance server.

A typical A-GPS-enabled receiver will use a data connection (Internet or other) to contact the assistance server for aGPS information. If it also has functioning autonomous GPS, it may use standalone GPS, which is sometimes slower on time to first fix, but does not depend on the network, and therefore can work beyond network range, and without incurring data usage fees.[3] Some aGPS devices do not have the option of falling back to standalone or autonomous GPS.

Many mobile phones combine A-GPS and other location services including Wi-Fi Positioning System and cell-site triangulation and sometimes a hybrid positioning system.[4]

High Sensitivity GPS is an allied technology that addresses some of these issues in a way that does not require additional infrastructure. However, unlike some forms of A-GPS, high-sensitivity GPS cannot provide a fix instantaneously when the GPS receiver has been off for some time.
"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS

I just checked my MFT GPS in Diagnostic Mode and it showed 9 satellites connected

harlenm - How many satellites does the Garmin see? If I remember you can see that at start up and if you select a section up top. That was a while ago though....

I will check on my drive home tonight as I didn't have my garmin with me this morning.

Also, on my drive home last night, I was able to see 9 satellites on an open stretch of highway.

Here is a comparison between MFT's satellite reception and the Garmin.

20120605_120236.jpg

20120605_120103.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back