• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer stalling

Tammy farrell

Reaction score
City, State
Calhoun, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
Hello, I just got my 04 explorer couple months ago. it has a bad squeal like a loose belt. Husband looked at it and belts were good, only the belt tensioner pullies were worn and wobbly. He changed it, noise wine is still there. It only does it when vehicle has set awhile. After its warmed up it does my do it. Then noticed when I would go to town, if sitting at a stop sign, it won't idle right, and on occasion it would stall. It starts right up. Now, when I start it, the rpm is so low, the vehicle will die, but it always starts.i keep my foot in gas when I stop must enough to keep it idled. Sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn't. also, noticed one of the spark plugs were real loose and had them tightened up. Now it tries to stall out while I'm driving occasionally.I NEED HELP!Please help, I'm going to be driving a 10 hour trip to see family by myself with my son and can't get my husband to get serious as out it. I was in Chattanooga yesterday by myself and thought i was stranded. Called my husband for help, he said i don't have a vehicle outside to come help, knowing i had 2 other vehicles sitting I driveway, so i took my chances to trying to drive closer towards home. Was hour and half away from my home. I did make it safely, but scared me half to death.What do you think this could be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum.
I moved this to the stock 3rd gen forum for views.

Question. Is the check engine light illuminated? If not, do you see it light up when you first turn the key to the on position? Do not crank the engine, just turn on the key and look for the light.

Also, even though it looks good try a new belt. ( tip--use a spray bottle to spray a little water right on the belt while it is squealing, see if the squeal changes. If it does, the belt is bad for sure)

While you are changing the belt, with it off, start the engine to check for squeal. We Need to know if the squeal is inside the engine, so if you run the engine briefly with the belt off, if will eliminate the belt driven components. If it does not squeal cold with belt off, then chances are the squeal is in a belt driven component. If the noise occurs with the belt off, the noise is internal in the engine or transmission.

Also, make sure the belt is riding in the proper grooves of the lowest , main crank pulley. On this forum I have seen some of the pulleys shift forward and cause the belt to jump off, and ride on the back of the pulley.

classic symptoms of a bad IAC valve, try cleaning it first (and the throttle body) or replace it with Motorcraft IAC. Aftermarket is a hit and miss thing for IAC..

classic symptoms of a bad IAC valve, try cleaning it first (and the throttle body) or replace it with Motorcraft IAC. Aftermarket is a hit and miss thing for IAC..

ah,I was thinking more of a squeal since she said her husband looked at the belt. Good call.

Throttle by wire used on 2004 and newer Explorers. No external IAC.

Welcome to the forum.
I moved this to the stock 3rd gen forum for views.

Question. Is the check engine light illuminated? If not, do you see it light up when you first turn the key to the on position? Do not crank the engine, just turn on the key and look for the light.

Also, even though it looks good try a new belt. ( tip--use a spray bottle to spray a little water right on the belt while it is squealing, see if the squeal changes. If it does, the belt is bad for sure)

While you are changing the belt, with it off, start the engine to check for squeal. We Need to know if the squeal is inside the engine, so if you run the engine briefly with the belt off, if will eliminate the belt driven components. If it does not squeal cold with belt off, then chances are the squeal is in a belt driven component. If the noise occurs with the belt off, the noise is internal in the engine or transmission.

Also, make sure the belt is riding in the proper grooves of the lowest , main crank pulley. On this forum I have seen some of the pulleys shift forward and cause the belt to jump off, and ride on the back of the pulley.
Thank you so much. I really hope this is just a simple thing and not something major. I will try this

This sounds like a classic example of why husbands need to be smacked sometimes. :)
If you have a lot of miles without a tune up you may want to start with changing plugs, cleaning MAF & throttle body, changing the air & fuel filters.

Thank you so much. I really hope this is just a simple thing and not something major. I will try this

Is the check engine light illuminated? Need to know please! We need to know if it even works since you just bought the truck.

Since you mention drive-ability issues, this is the first, unavoidable step.

This sounds like a classic example of why husbands need to be smacked sometimes. :)
If you have a lot of miles without a tune up you may want to start with changing plugs, cleaning MAF & throttle body, changing the air & fuel filters.
Yeah, I know what you mean lol. Thanks for the advice.

Is the check engine light illuminated? Need to know please! We need to know if it even works since you just bought the truck.

Since you mention drive-ability issues, this is the first, unavoidable step.
It seems all the lights in dash are working. the engine light has not came on yet

It seems all the lights in dash are working. the engine light has not came on yet

Hasn't come on yet, as in does not light up when you switch on the key?

Scan for stored trouble codes in the computers memory, check engine light or not. Most larger auto parts stores do this
as a FREE service. Call around. If any, write down the code NUMBERS and post them here. Too many possibilities to be guessing, DTC's should help pinpoint your stalling issue(s). GL

OBD-II Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) | Ford Explorer and Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

agreed. checking for codes is the first step. This is what I am leading up to with the check engine light discussion. It would be unusual the truck is running this poorly without a check engine light displayed, but I have seen it happen.

You can go to Autozone to have code(s) read free of charge. Take a paper and pen with you so you can write the entire code(s) and post them back here.

The codes will be displayed as a letter and 4 digits ( P0174 as example)

We found out that the engine light in fact wasnt working. it showed
Hasn't come on yet, as in does not light up when you switch on the key?

agreed. checking for codes is the first step. This is what I am leading up to with the check engine light discussion. It would be unusual the truck is running this poorly without a check engine light displayed, but I have seen it happen.

You can go to Autozone to have code(s) read free of charge. Take a paper and pen with you so you can write the entire code(s) and post them back here.

The codes will be displayed as a letter and 4 digits ( P0174 as example)
husband just checked and engine light was not working. He looked and someone had put black tape to where you couldn't see it come on. It pulled up some codes. He believes it could be the fuel pump. Fixing to change it and see what happens.ado far we have found tape that was wrapped around a hose that had something to do with EGR. As well as finding another hose that was bad. Other hoses he stated look brand new. Fixing to change them and check for other leaks. It seems to me, someone rigged this vehicles up to get rid of it!

Back